A weekend of running

Remember when I was bragging about all the good running I was doing and how everything was going so smoothly? I now eat my words. Sometimes I have certain runs that after I get back I think to myself, seriously, you KNOW better than to do this, so WHY did you just do that. Take my Friday afternoon run for example. I took off at 3 pm, and immediately was sweating like a beast. It was about 93 degrees out and I was simply dying. I also, before my run, drank a huge glass of water because I was thirsty. Another stupid move. I had a huge side-ache and the run was horrible. Once I got home though I thought, why did you do that. You know better than to run at 3, you know better than to drink water before. It was just a bad run. I told DJ that literally, if I had my phone with me I would have called her to come get me.

After that bad run, the weekend was one of relaxation to say the least. Friday night I went to the Museum of Latin America Art in Long Beach for an event on movement and dance, especially focusing on Latin America. It was actually a ton of fun and I’m really glad I went. It was definitely something  different and I wouldn’t had  normally done it, but I was really glad I went. Even when I was taking salsa dancing lessons. Yes, you read that. I took salsa lessons.

photo-1

This is kind of a bad picture but they had these dancers and they were wearing all authentic costumes and it was really cool to see them all and learn more about the latin american culture.

Saturday morning was the 12 miler with Ann which was over very quickly, but it was still really humid out. I ran without a shirt again because I needed to break in a new sports bra and didn’t want it bleeding color on any of my good shirts. When I got home I had about 10 gnats in my sweat on my stomach. They were attracted to my abs I think. Wonderful. I didn’t eat anything before my  run besides a promax bar, and I think that is what I will go with on race day, which is quickly approaching. I think because it’s so chalky and tastes like crap it doesn’t upset my stomach because I didn’t have any stomach problems this weekend. Saturday I watched football all day and did nothing with my life besides go to the laundromat, which is a different story for a different day. It was nice to just sit and sleep.

The Sunday I wanted to get in a nice seven miler. Again, another horrible run. Totally exhausted the whole time and my legs were DEAD. I realized again after I got home, I should have felt crappy, I had put in a lot of miles in the last few days so of course my legs were tired. It was just one of those runs and yes it was super humid again. I came back and though it was such a short run my legs felt so tired so I decided to ice bath. I think it helped, and the rest of my Sunday was spent celebrating a friends birthday on the ‘big red bus’.

photo-2

Today is a rest day and I’m glad. I feel like my legs for sure needed a rest. Hopefully the running this week will be better than the running I did this weekend and my legs will get some spring back into them!

28 Responses to A weekend of running

1. First of all I absolutely love your little belted plaid shirt. Your Cali girl style is adorable. Great job busting out a run in that kind of heat on Friday- I hate running when it is that hot out. Ugh. Thank God for highs in the low 70′s this week!

2. adam says:

I’ve recently been reading Joe Friel’s triathletes bible, and there is a chapter on recovery that you should check out at borders if you get a chance. It’s a great synopsis of how to recover, what to eat, what to do, and when to rest.

Also, I don’t know if you have a goal for each of your runs (e.g. tempo goals, heart rate goals, recovery runs, etc…), but it may help you feel more motivated for certain runs and expect less from others. I’ve found that i’ve geared my long runs to just staying in a heart rate zone, and i care a bit less if my legs are tired because it just means i run a tad slower at the same heart rate (assuming the tired legs make my heart rate higher, which surprisingly happens quite often).

3. Shannon says:

I love those glasses – where did you get them? I’m still on the hunt for the perfect sunglasses…

4. Tara says:

Great job on getting all your runs in even though some weren’t so pleasant! Humidity is evil…booooooo!!! You look smokin’ in your outfit :)

5. Abbie says:

I hate it when I’m in running funks, but good job for getting your runs in.

6. Kirbey says:

I think heat can ruin any run. I always always plan to go in the morning or evening so that its not too hot, but sometimes the only time available is afternoon and those are always my worst runs.

7. adam says:

one more thing, i think training in bad conditions is good. it makes training in good conditions that much easier and prepares you for races where conditions may not be ideal. plus, this mindset provides an optimistic way of looking at tough weather on training days!

8. Lacey says:

ugh i hate the dead leg feeling!!!!!!! hope you get some rest and re-energize!!!

9. Lara says:

Even the crappy runs are still good. You worked through the dead leg feeling, the humidity, and the crappy bar. You’ve put in the miles and are that much stronger for it!

10. L.A. Daze says:

Your hair looks amazing in that picture!

11. Girl, you would DIE if you lived over here…nasty humidity. UGH. Hate it.

Sorry about your crappy runs! You are a trooper for putting in all these miles lately!

xoxo!

12. PS Ditto Lara – your hair is ROCKIN’ in that picture!

13. B.o.B. says:

Sorry you got the old dead legs. Your rest days should help. Cute pic! What’s the big red bus?

14. Allison says:

I hate the bad runs, obviously, but somehow they make the good runs that much better. If they were all awesome I wouldn’t appreciate it as much (so I tell myself).
    For a rare treat, the USC game was actually broadcast in NC, but since halftime was almost 1 am here I called it a night then. Thankfully we got a W!!

15. I love your style! That plaid belted shirt is awesome.

16. Diana-D10 says:

Way to get the runs done in the humidity. Enjoy your rest day.

17. aron says:

ekk this heat needs to LEAVE now! should be cooling off soon :) great job getting your runs done! sounds like your legs are just ready for some rest and tapering… race day is getting close!

18. Jamie says:

You know it’s not normal for runs to effect you this way. Your body is probably run down. Maybe try some shorter distances for awhile and get back into the groove. BTW… even 7 miles is nothing to be too disappointed about =) I can only wish I could run 7 miles! LOL

19. Marlene says:

Yeah… sometimes we just have to learn the same lessons over and over.

Sounds like you out in some good mileage. Good work!

20. i always try to tell msyelf the bad runs just make me remember to really love and relish the good ones! Way to go on getting them in even if they didn’t feel the best

21. Denise says:

Rest up…your legs are trying to tell you something!

22. Ms.V says:

3pm runs bite…but we know we have to get the mileage in. Maybe you simply ran too much without fueling those muscles…what did you eat? Great shirt btw! You’re too cute kiddo!

23. Felice says:

I’m sure your legs just would like a little rest :-)

Post-run gnats are the worst, btw. So gross.

24. Mel says:

Just wanted to stop by to check out your blog, but also say thank you for your comment over on Runner Dude’s post today :)

25. Alisa says:

You outfit is sooooo stinkin’ cute!

Way to run in the heat and humidity, I know you like neither.

26. Abbie says:

You make me realize that I need to get off my arse… especially seeing you all sassypants in that picture, lady!!

27. owlcitylover says:

who are those two hipsters in the bottom picture? do you have any pictures of the salsa lessons? i think we would all love to see those!