Oh those puppies

This weekend I struggled through my 18 miler and cut it short at 15.5 miles. My toes were really beat up and I realized I was beginning to run awkwardly because they were hurting so bad. Thus my awkward painful running motion created another blister on my big toe. That’s when I realized it was time to stop and also time to go to the doctor regarding these little piggies. Thankfully, they are doing much better than they were last weekend after my run. They are toughening up? Maybe? I hope? Even though my toes are messed up, I had another “wait I don’t need to stop at a bathroom, this is an incredible feeling run,” so that was a definite plus! I know I could have kept going to hit 18 miles, but I just didn’t want to mess up my feet more and hurt myself in the long term.

After the run, I went to take the dog walking training class at the local animal shelter that I volunteer at. I had to take the class in order to start being able to walk the dogs that they have there. I have considered getting up early (crazy, I know) and going over there and running with a few of the bigger ones on my shorter run days. I forgot how much I love dogs and once I got there I was reminded. I volunteer at a no-kill animal shelter and the dogs there are to die for. It’s sad because a lot of dogs get dumped there since they are a no-kill shelter, and walking roughly 35-40 dogs takes a lot of time. The dogs are walked 3 times a day and after my class I went for my first walk. I was a little nervous about the bigger dogs, so I picked the dog I thought was the cutest one there. He was just found that morning and was only three months old. The dog was little, the walk was a little more carrying and playing than walking, but I loved it! I’m so glad I can volunteer there, and of course, I have to kill you all with super cute puppy pictures. These were all at the shelter, just a reminder to check out your local shelter if you are looking into adopting a new friend! Believe me, if I had a place that allowed dogs, I would have taken that little guy home.

pup2

This one was in a kennel with a German Shepard and they were best friends! How cute is he!

pup3

Many people don’t believe that you can get purebred dogs at the animal shelter. Personally, I LOVE little scruffy mutt dogs, but there was a purebred Yorkie, a silky and even a dachshund there. There were a lot of purebred pit bulls too, and those are the hardest to get adopted.

pup4

Um, this is a ‘danica dog’ if I’ve ever seen one. I was IN LOVE. He was brought in that morning and was the one I walked on my trial walk. I will be definitely going back to walk and run with many more dogs. It’s really fun and even after my long run, walking with them felt great.

pup1

Cutest thing. EVER.

pup5

He says, have a good week! :)

Tomorrow I’ll be posting a sweet giveaway, so check back!

36 Responses to Oh those puppies

1. Shannon says:

Oh those pups are absolutely adorable!! I love that they have a no kill shelter. I wish we had more of them around here. That’s really awesome of you to be volunteering at a shelter and walking and playing with the dogs!

2. Jesse N. says:

You’ll love walking the dogs. It is such a rewarding experience.

I’ve joined my wife a few times, as she regularly walks the dogs at a local shelter. She’s always trying to bring more home. We’ve set our household limit to no more 300lbs of dog or 4 dogs, whichever happens first. Hard to say no to more dogs when we have a yard for them to run.

3. You are too sweet to do this! How cute are those pups!

4. Page says:

Bah!!! Must…have…dog…now…

5. naomi says:

i showed my 4 year old nice your doggy pictures. she loved them and asked to see more! LOL

6. L.A. Daze says:

This seems like a lot of fun. Did you contact your local animal shelter or did they post an ad for a volunteer? I want to do this as well!

7. LOVE!!!!!!! Oh that FACE!! Love it!!

Sorry about your piglets :( Hope they get better soon!

8. Marlene says:

What a great idea volunteering at the shelter. I love dogs but I’m not ready to own one… maybe this would be a way to enjoy them but not have to take them home. :) (Kind of like I do with my nieces and nephews… heh).

What a cute puppy!!!

9. KatieA. says:

Why, oh why, do you do this to me! I want to get in my car and race down to you and bring one home! They are adorable! And you just went up like 10,000 notches in my book with your little do-gooder doggy walking/volunteer job! You are a ROCKSTAR! Kiss them for me!
    And good job on the run, but it sounds like your shoes are a 1/2 size to a whole size too small! Is it time for new kicks yet? Even if it isn’t, it maybe time! Have a good Monday! :)

10. Jamie says:

AWWW I love dogs! They really are BEST FRIENDS! =)

11. LOVE THEM SO MUCH! Oh I wanted two from our shelter so much this weekend. I know it’s totally impractical and we already have Charlie to love on… but still…

12. kristin says:

What a great thing to do! :)

13. So funny that you posted this – the fiance and I had a loooooong convo this weekend about getting a puppy. One of thet things we decided was that I should start volunteering at the local shelter by walking puppies.

You see I’ve never had a puppy or been around them much. :P

lol Hopefully I can start soon!

PS: Remember that picture you posted a while back of you in a pile of hunting camo? I ROFLed when I saw it ’cause I had one almost exactly the same from a couple of months ago at Cabelas. lol :P

14. ShutupandRun says:

Man, cutest ever Danica dog!! I adopted Lucky, our three legged cocker spaniel from the Humane Society a few years ago. He is the best and sweetest dog ever and gets along fine without the leg…I love to rescue!

15. Alisa says:

Um, cute-a-licious. Makes me feel like a bad puppy parent though since my poor doggie is home alone and doesn’t get walked three times a day!

P.S. Am I only person who notice bling on your finger? Is there something I missed?

16. Denise says:

Aw, breaks my heart to see animals in a shelter. i wish I could take them all home with me. Good for you for volunteering.

Great job on 15.5- it sucks that your piggies were bugging you! i hope they stop being such oinkers and start being more friendly to you! HA HA HA :)

I just love all the little guys! they are So cute! and i love that one was inside the cage with a german shepherd! ha ha ha! super cute that they are friends! hehe

give-a-way? Heck yeah! :)

18. RoadBunner says:

OMG! That dog is SO SO cute!!! When I volunteered at an animal shelter they had a 6 mos rule where when you were a new volunteer you weren’t allowed to adopt an animal the first six months you were there. Makes sense.

19. Rachel says:

i love those little pups…

20. Rachel says:

this saturday i stopped on my 18 miler at 15!!! i was dead tired..

21. Niki says:

I think it’s great that you are volunteer at the animal shelter!! Those pics are so precious! I would probably end up with so many dogs if I volunteered there!

22. Natalia says:

Alisa, no you are not the only one who noticed the bling. Its the first thing I noticed in that pic…..

23. Melanie says:

Good move on cutting the run short. Sometimes it’s better to be smart and call it a day when something is becoming an issue than to power through and make it worse. You’ll get that 18 next time, and in the meantime you ran 15.5 more than most people! Hope that the toes heal up soon!

And OMG, I am not really a dog person but I LOVE the pictures of that cute little doggie!

24. Rachael says:

so cute! this only adds to the agony that i’m currently in. my hubby calls in my “i want a dog” phase. I pout. I show him pictures such as the ones above … all i get is head shake. boo.

25. Anisha says:

Omg I am a complete dog lover. These puppies are adorable. I already have two dogs but I wish I could get 2 more!

I also developed a really painful spot beneath one of my large toes after my 13 miler this week. Its not a blister but everytime I put pressure on it, it hurts!

26. Megan says:

Kudos to you for giving up some of your time to help with these little ones!! I don’t know if I could withstand the cuteness!! Probably how I got 3 dogs… =)

27. x-country2 says:

You have such a big heart. What a cool volunteer gig!

28. Kristen says:

Totally noticed the bling…

And I really could never volunteer because I would end up with so many dogs I would lose count…already have 3…and 2 cats…and 2 birds.

Yeah, I am a little insane.

29. kymberli q. says:

Al walked the dachsund on Saturday. :)

30. aron says:

sooo fun! I used to volunteer at an animal shelter here but I just got too busy for it :(

I love having my doggies to run with!!

Hope your feet are better, have you thought about trying different shoes? or getting a bigger size? I know mine are 1-1.5 sizes bigger than my normal shoes. Just a thought, seems like you shouldnt be in so much pain!

31. You volunteer at a shelter? I knew I liked you, but now you’re at Pantheon-levels of coolness. Really, that is wonderful of you, and thank you for reminding people about adoption.

32. Ally says:

Hope your toes get better! I had to cut my long run short too this weekend–9 mile group run of ALL HILLS (no joke)–there was no way I could have gotten through another 6 like I’d planned. Yikes. Oh well, I made it to 11.25 before I nearly died.

Those dogs are SO cute.

I used to work for the SPCA so, I have a spot in my heart for shelter dogs–that’s really awesome that you volunteer there–and so awesome that you blogged about it–who knows, someone might go pick up one of the cuties because they saw him/her on your blog!

33. Glenn Jones says:

Yup! Definitley “Killa”. I’m not sure I could ever volunteer at an animal shelter. Becuase I’d end up with a dozen “Killas” at home!

Cute dog!

34. When I move to LA, we should be roommates and adopt ALL of these dogs. ♥♥♥♥

35. Amanda says:

Thanks for reminding peeps to adopt/rescue their pets…it’s a cause near and dear to my heart. We foster boxers:)

36. Mrs. Realife says:

Been reading back through ALL your posts :)

I HAD to comment on this one b/c of the Doxi and Shepard !!! Reminds me of my Elly and Rebel !! SO FREAKING PRECIOUS!!