Morning Running.

Sometimes it’s those times that you don’t want to leave the sheets in your warm comfy bed, when your legs are heavy and your eyes just want to stay shut forever and you mind hasn’t even turned on yet. When you feel so lethargic that your body won’t even function and you seriously doubt your ability to put one foot in front of the other. That was me this morning. I was so warm in bed and so tired and I didn’t think I would be able to function if I went out for a run.

I saw a commercial the other day that depicted the sheets attacking the girl trying to get up and work out. That is pretty much what happens to me. I just loathe getting up in the morning. As soon as she shuts the front door and takes off though, she’s freed from the sheets and has a great run. (Well it doesn’t show the run, but I like to imagine)

This morning those sheet monsters had me wrapped up and the darkness that was seeping through my windows just convinced me to stay tangled up in bed for a little bit longer. Finally my 3rd alarm went off (yes I have to set three) and I told myself enough was enough and got up and immediately went in the bathroom and splashed cold water on my face. It sucks, but it wakes me up every time. I’m one of those people that once I’m awake, I’m totally awake, but getting to the sink to splash my face can be a struggle. Then the contacts go in and after a few blinks I feel much better. Then I know I can do it.

This morning I got dressed and scowled at the fact that I could still see the moon and the sky was black and there wasn’t even a hint of sun yet. I opened the front door and sighed. I knew it would be worth it, but it was making myself believe that it was worth it to get me going. As soon as I got out the door and got going, I felt revived and refreshed, honestly it’s just pushing yourself out the door and it makes all the difference. It wasn’t too hot yet and the crisp morningness welcomed me with open arms. It was nice to be out and running and able to breath and not be distracted.

People I pass are much more friendly in the mornings, I got so many hellos and smiles. It’s hard to get out of bed, but once you get moving and once the sun comes up, it’s invigorating what the air and your surroundings can do to you. Sometimes running is almost intoxicating to me. It gives me such joy, that no one else can even imagine. Even though I felt like I wasn’t moving fast, I actually had the average pace of 8:46, which isn’t that bad. My legs were tired and heavy, but watching the sky turn from black, to pink, to blue is always something that when I do get up early enough to see, just reminds me what it’s like to be alive and how lucky I am to be able to put one foot in front of the other, day after day.

I know I’m not a morning runner. I’m much faster at night and I HATE getting out of bed, but sometimes, every once in a while, I can peel myself from the sheets and those morning runs always remind me that they are delicious! Sometimes it’s just the simplest things that can motivate you, like the feeling you get once you’re fully awake and out running. Then it’s the rest of the day, you’ve got your run done and you are super awake and ready to take on the world.

Now if those pesky sheets would just let me go!

PS those pictures weren’t from this morning, but another morning run, I look at them all the time becuase they are simply beautiful.

PPS. Remember to enter the Living Rooms Direct $50 gift card giveaway by leaving a comment on THIS POST!!!

55 Responses to Morning Running.

1. I actually prefer the morning — watching the sun rise over the city is incredibly beautiful and motivating. It doesn’t hurt that there is a cappuccino waiting for me back at home, courtesy of the bf!
    Jennifer
    PS: I agree – the hellos and smiles from other morning runners are part of the joy of morning runs!

2. Jamie says:

First things first… I have nominated you for an award on my blog =)
    Next… You are awesome for peeling yourself out of bed for a run. I haven’t been able to do it lately! go girl!

3. Tara says:

I totally FAILed this morning to run, but I am definitely using those pics as motivation for tomorrow :) Great job KOOHO!!!!

4. Markemmanuel says:

Running in the morning is an acquired taste. It’s a great time to run. No distractions. No cars buzzing by. It’s cool and the sun has this soft glow.

btw- i’m guessing you woke up early because you found a Ryan Reynolds to wake you up and made oatmeal?

–mark–

5. Amanda says:

I always have to remind myself that the hardest part is getting out the door!

I ran and watched a beautiful sunrise on the east coast this morning :)

6. Kristen says:

I hear ya on the sheet monster! I can never get out of bed…it is really sad actually.
    But good on you for doing it!
    And don’t feel bad about the water thing, I am truly not awake until I get into the shower…it is a straight line from the bed to the tub :-)
    Then…I am awake.

7. My morning run failed this AM too! but your sheets and photos have made me think that I can get out there tomorrow morning. I’ll try the water trick! :-)

8. I totally feel the same way with those sheets! I know exactly the commercial you are talking about! I’m glad your run went well though :)

9. I bow to you woman. My sheets beat me every morning. Curses to them! I vow one of these days though, to fight harder!

Beautiful pics.

10. Oh Danica… I love your posts! These words are beautiful and it makes me even more happy that they are talking about MORNING RUNNING which I dread and avoid. I think I should try morning running more often and use this post as inspiration. It really is those first few minutes that suck… I just need to splash water on my face like you. xoxo

11. amy says:

I had my alarm set to run this morning – it had been two weeks since my last morning run (I feel like I’m in confession – maybe I should do six 800 repeats for penance). When I woke up I thought I’d accidentally set my alarm for the wrong time – it was DARK! I was SAD! so I decided that it’s time to do my Tuesday run AFTER work now. :) Way to get out of bed, though! You are a stronger person than me.

12. KatieA. says:

I am very impressed – I cannot get up early to run during the week, no matter how many alarms I set! Great run and thanks for the pretty pics!

13. Jennifer says:

I would love to be a morning runner but I just haven’t gotten into it yet.

And I totally set 3 alarms to get up in the mornings…

14. I have to say… if I had that kind of a view on my runs I’d be way more inclined to get out there in the AM. I don’t mind it on the weekend when I run around 9 but getting up at 5:30 is rough.

15. Gina Harris says:

I always run in the mornings unless I have an evening race (very rarely). I run much better then. If I wait until later I have a tendency to skip the run.

You are a great writer, by the way. Love the pictures!

16. Amanda says:

I totally know what you mean about how hard it is to get up, but as soon as you get started running you’re SO glad you got up and did it. I love doing my long runs early in the morning before it gets too hot, then you can relax all day knowing you’ve got that long run out of the way when half the town is still sleeping!

17. kristen says:

I love my morning runs. It sets the tone for the rest of the day. Good for you girl!! I hope the reward from a morning run last all day for you too.

18. Jamie says:

I don’t know how you do it! I need a motivator like you UP HERE to motivate me everyday! It gets rough sometimes and I don’t even run that far! I am SOOO lazy!

19. Marlene says:

Haven’t seen that commercial, but it sounds about right! GOod job getting up this morning – sounds like it was worth it! Enjoy your day, girl!

20. DP_Turtle says:

I am totally with you on this — hauling my @$$ out of bed is the worst, and I’m waaay slower and ploddier (is that a word?) on a.m. runs, but once I’m out there, I get energy that carries me through the day and helps me deal with everything better. Nice post.

21. Mrs. Buck says:

I feel ya, running in the morning makes me feel like super-woman! But I can only drag myself out of bed to run before work a couple of times a month – it is sad! But your words have motivated me and I’m going to set my alarm(s) early tomorrow and get out there!!

22. Morgan says:

I absolutely LOVE being a morning runner… even on the rough start days I am still happy once I get going. Sunrise has become my favorite part of the day!

23. Emily@Lemmon_ade says:

I don’t drag my butt out of bed that early too run, but early enough that I still want to stay in bed. But, it’s worth it when the rest of the day I don’t have to think about how I have to run later! haha.

24. Joy says:

Beautiful pics! Those gorgeous sunrises are worth peeling off those pesky sheets for. That & having the rest of the day to conquer :)

25. I LOVE morning running, but I am like you, I HATE getting out of bed in the morning!! I haven’t been able to do it for the last few mornings actually and have been putting off my runs :-( I should try splashing cold water on my face, maybe that would help me!

26. Niki says:

Beautiful pics! I love morning runs and do all my runs in the mornings! But I’m with you, sometimes it is really tough to get away from the sheet monster!

27. Bootchez says:

I can barely get out of bed to pee. More power to you for your determination!

28. Ashley says:

GREAT BLOG! I love the early AM & sunrise workouts! My job, literally, is to train women all morning long starting w/classes at 5:30am into the afternoon. You’re so right…once I get those women out the door they’re completely motivated & feel rewarded for being done w/the workout…but it’s the getting up that is the hard part for most people. I just make the morning fun & they keep coming back :) Keep it up!!!

29. Natalia says:

I am so jealous of the gorgeous scenery / sunsets you get to see on your morning runs! I live in Texas, and lets just say it doesn’t even compare… I would love to have a beach path to run on!

I also hate getting out of bed in the morning, but after I’ve finished my run I feel so powered up for the rest of the day.

Happy running!

30. Natalia says:

* I totally meant to say sunrises, not sunsets! ….duh! *

31. Ally says:

I am soooo not a night runner–I’m terribly slow after being at work all day. Morning runs are far better for me, but, sadly, I usually have to do them on the treadmill. Summer is always so nice because I can get in some good outdoor morning runs in late June and into early August (my neighborhood has ZERO streetlights, so, running there in the AM is kind of sketch)…. It is so nice to have the run finished and then off to the rest of your day :)

Glad you were able to escape the sheets and enjoy your run!

32. Zoƫ says:

Gorgeous pictures! So jealous that you live near the water. I used to, but not at the moment…it’s about 10 miles away. :( I’m glad that you had a great morning run! I normally am the exact same way (hating it then loving the end result). It’s refreshing!

33. Alisa says:

So purrrty! I used to be a morning exerciser but have come to enjoy afternoon workouts to decompress from the workday.

I think I become more of a morning worker-outer in the winter when it’s dark no matter when I go.

34. OMG, I totally usually enjoy running… when I say usually, I mean in the last three weeks since I started doing it. Today I rolled my ankle though, and the entire thing was a giant fail! It’s still killing me this much later. I love getting my run out of the way though–then I don’t count down to it all day… I also love the sunsets. Good post!

35. RoadBunner says:

I hate getting up to run early, too. But I agree, once you get going and once it is over there are no regrets. I am also SUPER bummed the sun is coming up later :( Right now I’m waking up in darkness but by the time I get going the light is coming out. Pretty soon I’ll need to bust out the headlamp.

36. Miss E says:

So inspiring! It’s just so hard to get myself out of bed!

37. I LOVE THAT NEW BALANCE COMMERCIAL! It’s me. Except I fall for it more often than not. Those sheets are tricksters. I’m still figuring out ways to kick my butt in gear, but with the school year (I’m a teacher) starting in two weeks (eek)I know I won’t run in the mornings…I have to be on a train by 7:30am, so running in the am clearly means a 5am wake up! EW!

38. Rachael says:

I don’t think I could run in the evenings during this heat. Even at 7pm, it’s still like 85 degrees outside! Gack!
    I get out the door by 6:45 usually, but I need to work on getting up just a teeny bit earlier if I really wanna get it over and done with.

39. J says:

That is such a good post! I loved reading it. I totally know the feeling of not wanting to leave the sheets but morning runs can be so refreshing and a fun way to start the day! And i do think ppl in the mornings are friendlier!

40. michelle says:

I love running in the mornings. It is a special time of the day for me!!!

Great photos!

41. Sarsh says:

I LOVE running in the mornings, but in order to get to work on time I have to get up at 4:30….definitely a downer, and I get so cranky by the end of the workday. I end up doing most of my weekday runs at night, and enjoying morning runs on the weekends.

gorgeous sunrises!

42. rioruns says:

Those are terrific pictures…so pretty. I used to love sunsets the best, but now that I’ve seen some sunrises, I think they can be pretty beautiful too.( If I’m awake enough to appreciate them, that is.)

43. Pam says:

Oh how I wish I was a morning run/work out person. I am not. I have tried and I always roll over and go back to sleep for a bit. I am much more productive at night.

Glad you enjoyed your morning run. :)

44. Bob Shebest says:

Thanks for the comment on my blog! I like your site too. I’ll put up a link to it as my “chic” athletes will enjoy! -Bob (and Amanda) :)

Love love love the pictures! So beautiful! :) Ill run there anyday if it was that beautiful! :)

Great job waking up.. i failed this morning! Peeling the sheets is a nasty b!

46. SDrunner says:

I used to like running in the mornings too, but I’m running too fast in the evenings to stop! 3 alarms, that’s nothing, I have 5!!

Those are really nice pictures too!

47. Denise says:

I recently learned that I’m much better running after work but I was a morning runner for so long. Now it’s so hard to pull myself out of bed to do it.

48. Heather says:

I’m a morning runner. I’m up at 5am to get the deed done. I actually prefer to go in the mornings. There’s less traffic, people are surprisingly friendlier, I get to see the stars and moon and I get to see the sun coming up. I need to start carrying a camera so I can capture some of the truly beautiful mornings. I love your pictures!

49. aron says:

AMAZING pics!!! I love morning running but there are days (weeks) that the sheets just keep me in! I have been a morning running FAIL this week :( great job on yours!