Lets talk inspiration

Maybe some long distance runners don’t like watching track. I sure know that people who don’t run think watching track isn’t that exciting, but HOT DANG, watching track is something I just can’t get enough of. With the worlds on right now my tivo is on overdrive getting all the great races and new world records and when I got home, the first thing I watch is track. Seriously, it’s one of my all time favorite things to watch on television.

Now, I know I ran track in high school (mile, 4×4, 100 & 300 hurdles) and I know that I put in some long hours at the track and during season. I also ran cross country and played soccer so I know that it takes a lot to practice and improve, but let me tell you, I have the most respect and admiration for these athletes. Their schedules and lives are dedicated to training for their given event, and their talent just blows me away. While watching the events, I get so nervous as they get in the blocks, and all the feelings come back to me like I’m going to race. When the starter says set, I just feel my whole body tense up and my stomach jump for them, and I’m just watching it on TV! I can’t even imagine what it would be like to be there. I vow to go to Oregon one year for the Olympic qualifiers one year.

If you haven’t ever watched track, give it a chance. It gives me so much inspiration to watch the runners go so incredibly fast and to see their dedication and hard work paying off. I love the hurdles, since I ran them, and I love the relays, but all events are just as inspiring to me. Everyone is so fast and makes it look so easy. I guess I channeled my inner track athlete last night when I went out for my run. I normally never post numbers on my blog, but look at this weird little run.

mile 1 – 7:30
mile 2 – 8:15
mile 3 – 8:32
mile 4 – 8:52
mile 5 – 8:25
mile 6 – 8:11
mile 7 – 7:36
It’s almost completely opposite. Now, I NEVER run that fast, but yesterday I had some motivation. I had to get home before it got dark and if I didn’t run fast enough I would be stuck in a bad area when it was dark. It’s a little game I call, run for your life, literally. I guess my mind was channeling all my favorite track athletes and I was feeling great. It was windy for the first 4 miles and I had to run into it, but the last 3 I was running with it and I think that helped me keep my speed going. I haven’t had a quick, good run like that for a while and it was just what I needed to get me back on track. I really like the four day a week training plan I’m on. It keeps my legs feeling very fresh and I’m not exhausted all the time, another plus.
Sometimes you just have those runs where you feel like everything clicks, you can work hard but you aren’t dying, your legs aren’t heavy and nothing is hurting. All the good songs come onto your ipod and your garmin found satellite before you even started your run. The sun is setting and there aren’t too many bikers and people out on the path. People are friendly and your legs can just turn over faster and faster. Your breathing is controlled and relaxed and you are just in cruise control. That’s how that run was. Everything was just clicking and my legs just kept going. I haven’t been running that fast for that long since the good old high school days. Sadly, it was then I was running all right about 7:00 minute miles, but I’ll take what I can get! That run made me excited for my next run tomorrow night a lovely 8 miler. Well I think I might do it in the morning, but we will see how I’m feeling tomorrow.
Sometimes, when things click like that it reminds you how much you do love to run, and even though I did run fast and it felt great, it reminded me how much I enjoy running, no matter what my time may be.

28 Responses to Lets talk inspiration

1. oz runner says:

great job on the run, very speedy…the mile splits looklike a bell curve too, how funny…

2. Kevin says:

Inspired? No. Admire? Very much so. I guess I’m more inspired by the stories if every day folks who just get out there to run. Elite athletes have my admiration, but I don’t have the similar experiences to relate.

Nice blog. I’m glad to have stumbled across it!

3. B.o.B. says:

Wow! Look at you speedy. I love a good run too. It’s like the stars align. Gotta really appreciate them when you get them. Kudos chica!

4. Lauren says:

Hey Danica-

I love your blog!! We sound very familiar except opposite coasts! I am from Maine living in Boston now, 24 year old female, played college soccer, track and soccer in high school and now am a Semi-serious? runner. I am thinking of starting a blog as well, more about running & baking..my two passions, any advise?

5. Nikki says:

“Sometimes you just have those runs where you feel like everything clicks, you can work hard but you aren’t dying, your legs aren’t heavy and nothing is hurting. All the good songs come onto your ipod and your garmin found satellite before you even started your run.”

I love the above quote. It’s those runs that keep you coming back after the not so good ones.

6. Yasi says:

Great job! Runs like that where everything clicks are my favorite. Sometimes I watch inspirational Ironman videos on YouTube to get me pumped for training, it works well! I’ll have to seek out some track videos too!

7. Allison says:

I love reading your posts about great runs. They always make me feel inspired that my next one will be great, too. Sort of dumb, but whatever works!

8. Marlene says:

I loved watching Track during the Olympics last summer. These people are FAST!

Nice run… great “ladder” splits.

9. Look at you and your times!! Sheesh girl, you are amazing! You seriously make me look at running as a fun sport instead of a task. I’m starting to like it more and more. It gets tough through the training program I’m on for the 1/2 but as I cross off each run I feel so great!

Yay for you and your awesome run!

10. Morgan says:

I bow down to your speediness! D@MN GIRL!

11. KatieA. says:

Great run girly! I live for those runs! Funny, like life, you only remember the good parts or the good runs! I am sidelined right now with a hip/bum muscle prob, so I loved reading your post – and I am also watching track at night! Love it! Happy Wednesday! :)

12. POM says:

Wahhhhhhhh
    I’m dying over here for a run where everything clicks! It’s been too long without the click-age.

So I’m home now… holla back.

13. Joy says:

NICE paces there, girl!!

Mmmm… love those runs where everything just falls in place…

14. Kristen says:

I like watching track to see all the men in their tight clothes…

shhhh, don’t tell anyone ;-)

I also like when they run through the puddles and stuff, seems more realistic.

15. aron says:

AWESOME job on your run last night!!! I love watching track too :)

16. Adam says:

I love watching track too. BUT, what is the deal with all of the coverage of the shot put this weekend!?

17. Wooohoo – way to go on the speedy run!

18. J says:

I am watching the track championships in TV right now! so exciting!

I love watching track! Its awesome! :)

Great job with the running girl- your speedyness is inspiring me! :)

20. whhhooooaa there, Speedy! great job on your run!! I love those runs where it all clicks…I could use one right about mow, will you send me your motivation? Thanks, you’re a doll!

21. Es says:

That’s terrific! I need some of your motivation!

22. Theresa says:

I agree with the good running days, they are truly inspiring. I only wish I had more of them, haha.

23. Glenn Jones says:

That’s a great little run Danica! You know – I never got into running when I was in school because I played baketball and tennis. Running was used as punishment. I never realized that you could just go out and run miles and miles and miles for fun!

And like a couple above have said -I’m inspired by the “normal” people like you who can go out and hold down a real job, have a real life, and still find the time to kill the local race scene! Thanks for inspiring me and keeping me motivated!

24. N.D. says:

I like watching track. Great job on that workout!!

25. ilovesteaks says:

It was especially fun watching the heptathlon. Jessica Ennis is one of my favorite track & field athletes!

26. Alisa says:

AWESOME, look at you speedster!

For some reason watching track doesn’t motivate me but watching swimming makes me totally want to hit the pool!

27. I am not really a track watcher except the olympics and then I devour it.

way to go on those miles, holy cow girl!

28. Melanie says:

I LOVE runs like that, too. Way to rock it out.

And I also love watching track. I know I’ve said like fifty times this summer that I miss having the Olympics on… and track is one of my favorites to watch in them.