Angel Stadium 5k Race Recap

This past weekend I ran in a very small 5k at Angels Stadium. The Angels are my ‘team’ so I was pretty excited about this race because I heard we ran through Angels Stadium. Now, I didn’t know exactly what the course entailed, and there was no course map that I really could tell where we were going. It was three miles around the parking lot for the most part, which was boring and pretty hard on the old knees, BUT we did run THROUGH angel stadium and it was one of of the coolest things ever. I got the honor of running with Ann Gaffigan, the founder of Women Talk Sports. The girl is quick and just had a baby 10 weeks ago. I am also super excited because I think we are going to run some of our long runs together. She is training for the Chicago Marathon which is the same day at the Marathon in Long Beach. The girl is quick and it was fun to talk about all thing sports. Can’t wait for some of our long runs!

So got up early with Mr. R who also decided to run the race!!!! Super exciting for me! He was going to run with another one of our friends, who was going to ‘race’ the race until he got hurt during training. It was fun to see a bunch of people I knew and then before I knew it, the race was starting up. We lined up closer to the front of the corral and the megaphone went off. Sometimes I forget how fun smaller races are.

We started out around and around the parking lot. I didn’t know if we were actually going to make it into the stadium as it seemed to be all locked up. I also didn’t know what running through the ‘stadium’ would entail. We ran through the big “A” around mile 1.5, and then I saw that we were going onto the field! We ran through a tunnel that I think the carts go through and we were literally on the field at the Stadium! It was the coolest thing ever! We ran all the way around the baseline where the batters circle is and everything. Sadly I didn’t run with my camera this time, but I took pictures after the race.

Ann and I finished up and even placed in our Age Group. I won my age group, which I’m pretty surprised about. I missed them calling my name though because I was inside the stadium taking pictures.

5k9

This is the “Big A” we ran through the underneath part of it. This was also where the 1 lone water stop was along the course. It was fun to run through the “Big A” and also, it was a great weekend as the “halo” was lit up all weekend with a sweep of the Twins! The halo around the top of the A gets lit up when the Angels win!

5k81

This was the majority of the race. Around concrete barriers and around caution tape. It was very well marked and easy to follow though. Unfortunately one bummer was the fact that they didn’t have any mile markers. The course, besides being boring was pretty simple and the people on the course told us what way to go.

5k7

This was the tunnel we ran down to get onto the field. Right after we ran back to get my camera, they closed the tunnel door. Once I ran out of this tunnel and onto the field, I felt like I could take on the world! It’s such a high and I bet I would about have a heart attack if the stands were filled.

5k5

We ran the whole dirt track to the other side of the field and exited the other tunnel. It was the coolest feeling!

5k4

See where it’s roped off? That’s where we ran all the way around the field.

5k3

Ann and I after the race! Go Angels! It was the coolest thing ever to run with Ann and to run on the field.Ā  I even wore my Angels hat during the race. I tried to channel Aron’s cool hat wearing ability.

5k12

The winning medal under the ‘ball caps’ where everyone is gathered. Sad that I missed my name, but it was still fun and I’m glad they didn’t give my medal away! Yikes!

5k2

Everyone gathering under the ball caps to hear the winners announced. It was nice after the race because it was still overcast so it didn’t get too hot quickly.

The race was overall very well organized and easy to get to. Parking was free, there was an ample supply of water and Gatorade at the end, and how many courses can you say run onto a baseball field? Pretty sweet if you ask me. Though the race was small, it was still fun and I’m glad I got to run it this weekend. Also, big shout out to Mr. R and his friend Josh who ran together and both came in around 27 minutes and broke 30 minutes! Hooray! :) My final time was 23:44 or something around there. I forgot to stop Claude.

Tomorrow I’m going to talk about my 16 miler I had yesterday, I have a lot of things to share that really helped me out and I feel like though it wasn’t too far in training, I feel like I broke through some mental and physical barriers!

39 Responses to Angel Stadium 5k Race Recap

1. Amy says:

Cool race! We have a Redlegs 5K here in Cincinnati where we end up in the Cincinnati Reds stadium…that’s always so cool to be in a big empty stadium! I’m glad you were able to take pictures afterwards….and good idea wearing an Angels hat during the race!

2. Amy says:

Looks like a blast! Running through the stadium would be soooo fun, I think there should be more races like that. I want to hear about the 16 miler!

3. naomi says:

as a baseball fan, i can appreciate this. how fun! and good job!

4. Kristen says:

Congrats on winning your age group! That is awesome!
    See..and you said the 5k isn’t your race…whatever! :-D

5. Cindy K says:

Nice job!! I have never heard of this race before! Congrats on your AG win! Look at you getting all speedy! Good luck with your Long Beach training:) ocmom

6. B.o.B. says:

woo hoo! congrats girl. looks super fun. we have a race like that which runs into tampa stadium. always a cool run. lovin’ the new bling!

7. KatieA. says:

Wow! Good job on winning your age group! I ran the Disney 1/2 last year and they advertise that you “run” through Angels stadium, too. Well, you don’t. You “run” around the stadium through the parking lot – so needless to say, I am wicked jealous! And, it looks like you got a wicked cool medal, too! Have a good Monday! :)

8. aron says:

AWESOME job girl!!!!! sounds like a very fun race :) love the hat too!

9. KatieA. says:

BTW, it is just me, or can anyone else read your last post about videos? Having trouble seeing it…

10. X-Country2 says:

What a cool race! Congrats on the AG win!

11. Alisa says:

Awesome! So cool that Mr. R ran it too. Dude, 23:XX that’s freakin’ awesome.

Thanks too for all your supportive comments about my Tri. Hehe XOXOXO

12. RunToFinish says:

oh fun looking place, i’ve never been there!

what a great finish time!

13. Mrs. Hibit says:

Ann is from my home state, and one of those super-fast runners I’ve enjoyed keeping track of ever since she schooled me in high school cross country. It’s awesome you got to run with her! It sounds like a pretty cool race – especially for a baseball fan. I think if I got to run through Busch Stadium, I might die.

14. Congrats and it looked like it was a fun place to run!

15. Congrats on 16 and breaking those barriers!

I would be sooo excited to run through my team’s stadium :)

16. Denise says:

Congrats on winning your age group. That’s awesome!

17. cindy says:

you were so speedy! congrats on your great finishing time. breaking mental barriers? i need to read about that!

18. I WISH Yankee Stadium would do that, I would KILL to do that!!! MY hubby is the biggest Green Bay Packers fan alive (And he’s grooming me to be the same) and we’re toying with the Green Bay Marathon. It’s a win win situation with your team and a race! Congrats on your age group win!

19. Joy says:

Congrats on the AG win! What a great venue to have a race in.

20. Marci says:

Congrats on a speedy 5K!!

21. Niki says:

Great job on the race! So cool that you got to run through the stadium!!

22. Melanie says:

How fun, even if the course was a little dull! We have a race that finishes on the Titans football field here in Nashville, and it’s just kind of cool to get to be out on the field in such a big stadium.

I also ran 16 this weekend! Can’t wait to read your report.

23. Congrats on your race, Danica! Super cool that you won your age group! Running in the big A must have been pretty sweet! Congrats again.

24. MsV says:

Great job!!!

25. Flyers26 says:

Sounds like a great time!
    I wish the Phillies had a 5k like that!

26. runner26 says:

congrats on winning your age group! sounds like a great race!

27. Marlene says:

How cool is that, running around the stadium! Congrats on the 5K and winning your AG!

28. Glenn Jones says:

Congrats Danica! Too bad it wasn’t at a real ball park like Doyer Stadium. ;-) Just kidding! Looks like the Angels are back on track. Now if we can just get Big Blue winning again. Ugh!

Sounds like a fun little race! Congrats on te AG win. See you in Long Beach!

29. Tara says:

congrats girl! you truley inspire me!

30. Vava says:

Congrats! Sounds awesome to finish in Angels’ Stadium. Nice time too.

31. kristen says:

Wow – 1st in your AG. That’s awesome girl. You were smokin’! Very proud!

Great job on 5k girl! you rocked it! How cool that you got to run in the stadium! :) Way to go!

33. txrunnergirl says:

Great job on the 5K! Cool that you finished in the stadium!

34. Adam says:

Great job!! Very cool that you were able to circle the stadium. Makes up for all of the parking lots.

35. Awesome. I totally wanted to do that race. Woman, you should have reminded me.

36. What a cool race!! Glad you had such a fun time running it. I’m sure a 5k is nothing to you now!

37. SDrunner says:

Great job on winning your race, cool pictures!

38. RoadBunner says:

How have I not posted here! Twitter messes up my blog commenting!

Congratulations!

I am so not a baseball fan, but even then was bummed when the DL Half was routed around the stadium vs. through it the year I ran it. Planning to run it again in 2010 and they had better let us run in the stadium! Sounds cool.

39. Pingback: InVigorators Sock Review! | Chic Runner