Why I hate Bicyclists

Perhaps that title is a little harsh, BUT, hear me out. This is my opinion and my blog so therefore I am allowed to say whatever I want and I definitely have much to say about ‘bicyclists’. Now, personally, I’m not one to hop on a bike and get my daily workout in, but there are some of you, many of you who do this option. Personally, I run. I used to think that bicyclists and myself were some what on the same playing field. You know, they’re working out and so am I. Maybe they run too, because they are training for a triathlon? I don’t know why I came to this decision, but I’ve decided that bicyclists hate me. Men and women, none the less. This doesn’t mean I’ve never ridden a bike or haven’t ridden a bike in the past years of my life, because I definitely have included some pictures in this post to prove that I to can cruise the streets on two wheels.  I’m sure you are all wondering why do you hate bikers? Well excuse my rant but here we go.

First off, the bikers I have ran by and rode my bike by are incredibly, incredibly unhappy. Maybe it’s because they had to spend so much money to get that bike, or perhaps because they can’t run so they’ve resorted to biking. I, especially when running, am happy and usually smiling. People that I pass that are walking and rollerblading and biking, I always give them the head nod, or small wave or at the very least a smile. When I smile, I show teeth, and give them a nice smile. Most people who are walking or running or blading look at me nicely and return the favor. Bikers look at me like I could have six heads and like I’m an idiot. When I first started running along the beach path around 2 years ago, I thought maybe I just always hit the same sour patch of riders. I continue to wave and smile to this day. The wave has been returned probably a total of 10 times. I run past huge packs of bikers all the time, and I get nothing. Let me tell you, that is SUPER lame, you bikers. Work on your people skills. Maybe you can’t ride without two hands on the handle bars but at least show me some teeth!

biking1

This was taken two summers ago. Don’t worry I’m not flashing people, I’m wearing a bathing suit. Yup, got my beach towel and my water bottle in my front basket. Cruising through Newport beach. How can you not wave or even smile to me?! I can’t ride without two hands, but I can ride without one, and with the other one I’m throwing up some waves!

Then we have them who HAVE to ride in packs that take up the WHOLE bike path I run on. It’s like they are playing Red Rover on bikes. Now, I understand I must share my bike path with others. I share with the bladers I mentioned earlier and walkers, and joggers like myself. I always get out of the way when I hear anyone say to the left and I stay in the special pedestrian lane, but then why do the bikers who I run by give me the cold shoulder and try to run me over? Now, this is plain out MEAN. So therefore two points for MEAN bikers and zero points for me. I pay attention to all laws regarding the beach path and streets, they should too! Unless they want me to put a stick in their spokes!

Then we have the fact that they don’t approve of my bike, Pinky the Beach Cruiser. Well folks let me tell you a little story. I’ve ridden 22 miles on a beach cruiser on hilly terrain about 15 times. My beach cruiser has a basket and you push back on the pedals for brakes. It doesn’t have gears. I don’t have a custom seat or wear special clothes. I know biking can kick your butt. My butt would be sore for DAYS. It’s hard work, I’m not knocking your sport, but don’t mock poor Pinky, or look down on me because I’m not the Lance Armstrong Wannabe.I know the hard work that goes into pedaling, beach cruising can be hard work if you are riding your bike for 22 miles round trip too. The scoffs I get from you mean bikers is not very nice! Just because I’m not cruising at a high speed doesn’t mean you can hate on me and my friends, who are following the laws of the bike lane land and friendly as well.

See I can ride my bike too!

biking3

A glorious ride along the back bay trail, in Newport Beach. This was how we rode our bikes to the beach. 22 miles round trip isn’t a joke on a beach cruiser.

biking5

I can do cool tricks too! Just becuase your bike doesn’t allow it doesn’t mean you can hate on mine!

biking6

I know bike care is hard! I have had my bike fall down these stairs on me before. But I have to take care of my bike just like you do!

biking7

See I am a friendly biker!

biking8

22 miles on this seat kind of sucks. It’s fun, but it sucks.

beach-path-1

Look at me, this is normally the beach path I run but I’m riding my bike on it! And I’m staying to the right side and not anywhere near the pedestrian lane!

So I think that you spandex suited biking fiends need to work on being a little more friendly and your interaction with runners. Alas, these are just my thoughts.  When I run, I can hear you and your buddies yelling to each other, so I know it’s not out of your physical capacity to smile or wave at me. Even the old guys look at me like, why are you running? Sad but true. Bikers just seem so angry. I might not enjoy every run but I don’t run around with a huge scowl on my face. Happy up boys and girls!

On that note, last night I went for a run and for this post I counted how many bikers I passed. I passed 47. I waved at 47. ONE waved back and I got 1 partial smile. SEE! I have proof! Last night my run started off crappy. I tried out my 80′s fanny pack on my run to see if it would work for this weekend’s 13.1 for carrying my phone and camera. EPIC fail. I ripped a hole in the fanny packs side, but it was super entertaining. I never have gotten so many weird looks! My legs felt really heavy for the first mile but after that I felt good and besides the fanny pack bouncing around it was a great run. Tomorrow morning I hope to get up extra early and do one last trail run on the trail I ran my 13 miles on the other weekend when I had a great run. I’m suppose to meet up with a group so hopefully I don’t oversleep like last time and feel like a complete loser.

I am getting so excited about this weekend! It’s going to be a blast and I realized that I also get all my ‘California Dreamin‘ awards for doing the Long Beach, Huntington Beach and San Fran races. I get an extra medal and a jacket, I think. I’m super excited! I heard the medal is huge. It seems like so long ago that I ran my first 1/2 marathon back in Long Beach, but it hasn’t even been a year yet! Isn’t that crazy to think about? I’ve already ran a full marathon! Sheesh, I am a freak.

73 Responses to Why I hate Bicyclists

1. Maggie says:

Girl you are too funny! I was seriously laughing out loud almost the whole time. I love it! Good luck this weekend and I can’t wait to hear how it goes!

2. Jean says:

HAHAHA this was a cute post! My roommate from santa monica bikes and is a total addict. I don’t even know how to ride a bike so I may never appreciate what it does. And I agree.. cyclists DO NOT look happy…

Keep it up!

3. Joy says:

Right??

Runners get a rap for looking serious, but I think cyclists look downright miserable!

4. kymberli q. says:

Cyclists think they own the road! These pictures were a crack up! I love this post!!

5. Nobel4Lit says:

I am a recent runner-turned-cyclist (sorta) and find it hard to like bicycling nearly as much as I do running. Running is awesome and cheap!

6. I totally agree with you. I have always had a hatred for bikers. I don’t like them when I’m driving…and I didn’t like them in college when they would run you over walking to class.

I laughed out loud when you talked about putting a stick in their wheels. Love it :)

7. Megan says:

I am impressed that you have the ability to smile, run, and wave all at the same time. When I “run” I am normally so focused on not vomiting that I doubt I am anywhere near as friendly as you. :)Next time someone isn’t friendly to you just tell yourself that you are in better shape because you can exercise and be friendly at the same time while the other tubs-o-lard-fat bicyclists are too out of shape to do both. :)

I also love that you wore a fanny pack to run. It makes perfect sense to me!

8. runner26 says:

I love your bike!! so cute!

we have a lot of cyclist/runner feuding in central park.. unfortunately, it can get dangerous at times, especially when marathon training is in full swing.

I’ve been a runner for 12 years and have only recently dabbled in cycling. I’m usually scared out of my mind when in the park or on the roads–and though I’m certainly not going crazy fast, I try to keep a good pace and concentrate on staying safe. I’d probably not even notice if someone waved. But if I did, I’d try to smile ;)

9. cindy says:

what a cute bike! that kind of biking is more my speed. i bought a road bike last year so i could go on rides with my husband, but i try extra hard not to be like the unfriendly/rude cyclists i’ve encountered. why can’t people just be more nice?

10. Felice says:

I love your bike! So cute!

I wouldn’t go so far as to say I hate bicyclists but I totally get you. I don’t know why they have to be so unfriendly. I am an uber-waver and cyclists rarely wave back. Or even acknowledge me. But, I do get the occasional smile so some are nice enough!

11. Tammy says:

LOL! I love your bike, too. I miss my cruiser.

Good luck in San Fran!
    I can’t believe I ran my entire first marathon wearing one of those 80′s fanny packs! Ugh!

12. Katie A. says:

I am a day late…sorry.
    But, Amen sista’! I totally agree! They are rude and selfish! I have had to dodge so many bikers in my years of running that I am so fed up!
    I’ll be in SF this weekend, too! Enjoy your trip north, it’s finally really nice weather!

13. oz runner says:

just sold my bike at our garage sale last weekend because i never rode it….i think there are some nice bikers out there, though, you just have to find them…i hate that when people don’t wave back….

14. Jen says:

Here in Chicago, the Lakefront Path is shared by bikes and runners (and sometimes very slow walkers, but what can you do). A lot of the 5K races are held on the path too because it’s way cheaper than closing down city streets. I get SO MAD when bikers yell at us when we are running a 5K that we PAID to do! and for the record, there are usually signs warning of congestion for the bikers. GRRR. Totally one of my biggest running pet peeves.

15. Bonnie says:

I live in the Midwest and have recently started biking with BF. I haven’t really encountered any unfriendliness…most of the bikers here tend to at least smile or nod. Still, we’re not hardcore at all and the ones wearing the spandex and all that are definitely not as friendly.

16. Glenn Jones says:

I think we should create large runner pelotons and terrorize the cyclists, hog the trails, and the like. I try to be aware of my surroundings, but every now and then I will be suprised by a cyclist. A week ago I was literally run off the trail by a group of cyclists that had to ride side by side. They weren’t being Lance wannabe’s – they just wanted to chat while riding! Grr….

17. I hardly ever seen cyclists on my run… So no opinion on that! But I really like your pink bike!

18. Jessica says:

That is crazy that bikers don’t wave! What is wrong with them? :) I love your bike and would totally wave to you if I saw you on the street running/biking :)I love all your pics, too cute!

19. melanie says:

the cyclists on my nyc run are always very serious too…I find that the runners are usually friendly, but then again as a runner I am probably biased! I do like calling the cyclists who take themselves too seriously, “Clancy Armstrong” :) P.S. Your bike pics are cute! :)

20. Cody says:

I get what you mean. I definitely get serious on the climbs, but on the flats I’m all smiles! There are some way too serious cyclists (and runners) though! Agreed! :)

21. ron says:

I agree with you bikers always seem to take things too serious. But I have to agree with some of their behavior. As a runner I pass a lot of people, some I wave at and others I do not. Mostly this is out of sheer convenience because if I were to wave and smile at every person I passed I might as well enter a beauty pageant rather than be running a workout. A biker is going much faster than me and so they pass way more people than I do, making it that much more inconvenient. So I hope you see my point here, but regardless they could still at least TRY to look like they are having fun whether they return the gesture or not :) Great post.

22. Brandon says:

So, I agree with your observations about cyclists in general. There are differences in bikers though. All of the road bikers do seem pretty ridiculous and snooty with that pointy little seat up their bum-bum’s. BUT, almost all, except for the uber serious trail/mountain bikers with spandex, are pretty up-beat. I was once asked by a ‘Lance’ wannabe here in Austin if I ever carried anything else on my roof rack besides my kayak…I answered, “yes, I put my bike up there sometimes.” I thought he was going to ask me out on a date right there at the jobsite. He then asked me where I rode. I answered, “I ride on the greenbelt. I like the terrain and switchbacks and jumps.”. He looked at me like I just stole his boyfriend and immediately ended the conversation because I was the “WRONG” kind of biker. That’s the type of people I’d imagine you are encountering on your daily grind. Road biking, spandex wearin’, pointy seat lovin’, Lance wannabe’s. Take your attitude and your fiat jersey and cram it in your cram hole. If people in cars driving at 65mph in opposing directions can time up a wave and a smile on life’s highway, so can a darn road cyclist. As for me, mountain/trail bikers would never consider grouping themselves in the same category as a snooty roadie. Love the post and the beach cruiser. Sorry so late on this post. Hope you get this. Peace on the west coast.

Brandon out.

23. Robert Scott says:

This is exactly the way I think when I run!! Love the part about them taking up the whole trail! Rude Rude Rude! LOVE IT!