A love letter to 13. 1

Dear 13.1,

There was a time in my life that I never thought I could run the distance to you. I got excited and signed up to meet you for the first time. I didn’t know that I would truly fall in love with you during our first meeting in Long Beach back in October. I was scared the first time we met up, but you were kind and made me realize that you weren’t as scary as I thought you were. I am so sorry that I was greedy and  wanted more than what you had to offer and cheated on you with 26.2. I am sure that a lot of people do that to you, and just use you as a stepping stone to get to 26.2, which is mean! You deserve better! I never realized that I was so perfectly happy with just you, you are everything I wanted and more. I know I should be happy with what I had, but we all make mistakes right?

When we meet up, I feel refreshed and rejuvenated. I can still walk around and I don’t feel like I’m going to throw up and my legs are going to give out underneath me after we hang out. Though your hardware is significantly smaller than 26.2’s most of the time, it doesn’t matter to me because you bring me more joy than any medal ever would. After we meet up, I have so many great feelings that remind me that I can run and that running can be fun, and that anyone can run.

You are just right for me. I can run fast, or run slow and I know I won’t feel like I got ran over by a tractor the next day. I can have fun and just enjoy my surroundings during the race and my body doesn’t feel like it’s rejecting itself and that my brain is melting. Your distance is perfect, because 5k is much too short for me these days, and 10k is just short enough that I can’t really get going to enjoy the race. I’m not 16 anymore, and 5k and 10k just party too hard for me. Then, before you know it, the party is over. I like to party for longer and I like to get more bang for my buck when I hang out.. You know hanging out with you isn’t cheap, but I’m willing to pay the price. 13.1, you do that for me. You make me challenge myself just enough that I learn more about myself, but I don’t feel like I’m getting jipped like with 5k and 10k.

I mainly write this letter to you though, in hopes that you will forgive me and my cheating self. I know I hurt your feelings when I hung out with 26.2. I’m sure that you heard that I hung out with 26.2 twice as long as I normally do with you, and I’m sorry. 26.2 made me it’s slave. I wasn’t prepared for the agony she would cause me. She beat me up pretty badly and that’s why it took me so long to come running back to you. Can you believe I was scared of racing? She did that to me. She messed with my mind, my body and my spirit. I have nothing but awful things to say about her, and guess what else she made me realize, that I’m in love with you!

26.2 is SO annoying. You don’t have any idea. I don’t have to bathe in Body Glide the night before meeting again, like you must do with 26.2. It’s so nice to be able to meet up with you again and just enjoy your company, and not worrying about not being able to bend over the next day. It’s so nice not to worry about how much gus I’ve taken, or what my next gu flavor will be. It’s so nice not to have to stop during the middle of a race to explode in the porta-pottie and it’s SO incredibly nice to have fresh feeling legs the next day. I never knew my knees, hips and back could feel that much pain, but it did after hanging out with 26.2. She is relentless. You think hanging out with her will be so memorable and amazing and then she just beats you up when your down. I wasn’t really into the whole chafing thing, and she loves to chafe you, in areas that you never even knew existed.

But you, 13.1, you never caused me such pain. I feel spry and ready to take on the world after we hang out. I want that feeling back. This weekend, when I was able to reunite with you, the rush of feelings came back. I remembered that you were my one true love. I’m sorry 13.1, I hope you understand why I wanted more and why I’m so glad that you are giving me a second chance.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

70 Comments

• Reply Kirsten Maree

Love it!!

July 29, 2009 at 10:41 am
  • Reply Julie @ Wearing Mascara

Danica I am typing a comment from my iPhone which I rarely do. This post made me laugh so damn hard as I’m traveling. You have definitely inspired me – as usual. I haven’t met 13.1 yet but I may have to start a love affair of my own. Oo lala ;-)

July 29, 2009 at 10:45 am
  • Reply Maggie

I love you girl and I hope I love 13.1 as much as you do!

July 29, 2009 at 10:48 am
  • Reply Amy

I feel a little dirty after reading this. some people have no boundaries on the internet! GET A ROOM! :)

Great post. I am starting to cheat on 13.1 right now, too, and I’m not sure it’s going to be good…..

July 29, 2009 at 10:53 am
  • Reply brooke

Too funny! I have felt the pain of 26.2 and have a date with 13.1 in 3 weeks, I hope I like her as much as you!

July 29, 2009 at 10:53 am
  • Reply Ginny

26.2 – don’t feel bad. I LOVE you more than 13.1. While I do have special feelings for 13.1, you are the main one in my life for the next few years, for sure. Love the post.

July 29, 2009 at 10:54 am
  • Reply Ginny

July 29, 2009 at 10:55 am
  • Reply Morgan

This post is HILARIOUS! I always hear that most people’s favorite distance is the Half and quite frankly I’m quite smitten with it as well but I gotta say… you did a fantastic summary of just why the Half is fantabulous in it’s own right! :)

July 29, 2009 at 11:03 am
  • Reply RoadBunner

My favorite distance is 13.1, too! If I could only have one race the rest of my life I’d definitely take the half. I had to laugh about all the bad things about 26.2 because that is exactly what I’m feeling like now! 13.1 is up next for me!

July 29, 2009 at 11:04 am
  • Reply B.o.B.

Ok so this letter is hilarious. Morgan popped up on my IM and ordered me to come read this post. So glad she did I am laughing out loud at my desk! Glad that you and 13.1 are reunited.

July 29, 2009 at 11:09 am
  • Reply Lisa

Ha ha, that is great. I could never figure out the appeal of 26.2, but whatever floats people’s boats I guess.

July 29, 2009 at 11:17 am
  • Reply Amber (Girl with the red hair)

Hahahaha! This is such a great post!!!

I LOVE 13.1, too. But 26.2 is tempting me. I might have to cheat once, but I have a feeling that, like you, 13.1 will always be my one true love!

July 29, 2009 at 11:20 am
  • Reply carolina girl

Your love affair is sickening!! UGH SOME PEOPLE! hahaha Although, secretly, I hope I can love 13.1 someday too…shhh….

July 29, 2009 at 11:22 am
  • Reply kristen

July 29, 2009 at 11:22 am
  • Reply Brown Eyed Girl and Beau

This was awesome!! Love it! It gets me all pumped for my first 13.1. I hope I love it as much as you do. With the way things are going with training right now, it’s not looking good though :(

Love your race recap too! Hilarious!!

July 29, 2009 at 11:24 am
  • Reply Jenny from Lucky in Love

This is the funniest thing ever! I’m so glad you found your true love :)

July 29, 2009 at 11:30 am
  • Reply Emma

Ha ha! :D

July 29, 2009 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Meg

I hope one day I can feel this way about 13.1, because right now, my love letters are written for 3.2 and that’s just sad.

July 29, 2009 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Amanda

AWESOME POST!!! I cant wait to run my first half. I always toy with the idea of running the NYC Marathon bc my dad ran it year after year but at this point I feel like that will never happen. And ITS OK if I never run a marathon! Thanks for reminding!

July 29, 2009 at 12:20 pm
  • Reply Kelly

HAHA this is HILARIOUS! I hope to find my love for the 13.1 again this fall.

July 29, 2009 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply X-Country2

I love it! Good luck this weekend. I’m sure she’ll take you back with open arms.

July 29, 2009 at 12:43 pm
  • Reply kara

Sweet!

July 29, 2009 at 12:45 pm
  • Reply Jen

This is great! Although I did start to get a little worried because I am signed up for my first marathon a month ago!

July 29, 2009 at 1:09 pm
  • Reply Marlene

Awesome! I definitely share a lot of these feelings… but I intend to give 262 another chance. :) I do love the half, though. You really feel like you accomplished something but it doesn’t beat you into the ground.

July 29, 2009 at 1:25 pm
  • Reply J

Love it! And honestly I feel the same way – I think that anything over 13.1 miles is just not right for me and/or my body. I love the part about feeling like you got run over by a tracker – totally know that feeling!

July 29, 2009 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Spike

oh, you may have 13.1 fooled, but 26.2 and I both know you’ll be back…whispering sweet nothings into its ear. but what are you going to say the next time you trot past 13.1, what are you going to say to it then?!?

July 29, 2009 at 1:46 pm
  • Reply Kristen

This is awesome! I hope to have a relationship with 13.1 one day…for now I like the party fast ways of a 5k…

July 29, 2009 at 1:47 pm
  • Reply Sheila

13.1 is my favorite distance, too. But I’m flirting with 26.2 again and we’re planning to meet up twice in March 2010. This weekend I got a little 5K action going on the side, and then there’s the triathlons. Shhhh. Don’t tell my running shoes!

July 29, 2009 at 1:49 pm
  • Reply Es

What a great post! I’m glad that you found the one for you!

July 29, 2009 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply jennschac

You’re the funniest.
    I think I have an abusive relationship with 21.1 — maybe if i called her 13.1 things would go more smoothly? hm…

July 29, 2009 at 2:03 pm
  • Reply Stuart

Very good, although I find after a quick wham bang it’s all over leaving me looking for the next one!

July 29, 2009 at 2:09 pm
  • Reply Sweeter

This is so awesome. Definitely makes 13.1 look very attractive.

July 29, 2009 at 2:16 pm
  • Reply Alisa

Hahaha this is fantastic!

July 29, 2009 at 2:29 pm
  • Reply michelle

13.1 is a very beautiful thing. I have a nice relationship with it!!

Great post!

July 29, 2009 at 2:49 pm
  • Reply Sam

So you’re saying size doesn’t matter? Or you’re saying too much of a good thing is too much?

I’ll take care of 26.2 and I hope you have a good time with 13.1. Double date in Long Beach?

July 29, 2009 at 3:36 pm
  • Reply Ellen

That is GREAT! I totally agree with so much of that. Although from time to time I am tempted again by that sly 26.2, 13.1 is my fave!

July 29, 2009 at 4:05 pm
  • Reply That Pink Girl

best.post.ever.

LOVE IT and so true!

July 29, 2009 at 4:26 pm
  • Reply rioruns

It is clear that 13.1 and you make a cute couple! It wasn’t until during my 1st marathon when I finally appreciated the wonderful things about 13.1.

July 29, 2009 at 5:14 pm
  • Reply Thomas Tan

Come on now, you know sometimes you can’t help it but find the darker and unpredictable 26.2 appealing :) Great post though, thoroughly enjoyed reading it.

July 29, 2009 at 7:00 pm
  • Reply Runeatrepeat

Very cute & clever :)

July 29, 2009 at 7:26 pm
  • Reply Tara

LMAO 13.1 is perhaps everyones one true love, however 26.2 is like an abusive relationship that you keep going back to…it’s almost like you want to prove yourself to 26.2 that you don’t need them and no matter what they do they can’t hurt you! Haha

July 29, 2009 at 10:24 pm
  • Reply Rachael

hardware … haha.
    that part along made me laugh out loud!

July 30, 2009 at 4:46 am
  • Reply KatieA.

ROFL! So true! I love the 13.1 distance – and I am finally working on breaking PR’s everytime. 13.1 is like a good friend, it’s always there for you and always leaves you feeling better about yourself!
    Enjoy the distance, but really, as we all know, it’s all about the journey anyway. Have a great day! :)

July 30, 2009 at 7:34 am
  • Reply Perfectly Imperfect

You make me really want to meet this 13.1…. I think I need too =)

July 30, 2009 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply naomi

very cute! i’m loyal to 13.1 too!

July 30, 2009 at 9:31 pm
  • Reply Glenn Jones

I agree 100%!!!! 26.2 is like any other vice. It’s there and hanging over our heads. Every now and then we give into the temptation. 13.1 lets us do all those things without the hangover. You would think we learn, but at some point we look up to see 26.2 tempting us again….

July 31, 2009 at 7:40 am
  • Reply PunkRockRunner

Nice letter! If only I had stayed true to 13.1 last weekend and not tried to hang with 26.2. I’m still feeling the pain from 26.2’s wrath.

July 31, 2009 at 9:17 am
  • Reply PDawg @ Alis Grave Nil

Did I comment this already? I’m too lazy to scroll and look. That’s pretty bad, huh? I know I did on twitter. This is probably the 4th or 5th time I’ve read it. I’m really glad that you shared this. As somebody who is looking at 13.1 like it’s all I’m ever going to be able or want to do, it gives me a lot of encouragement thinking that it can be satisfying–that I’m not missing out on the greater experience or a “lesser” runner, you know? I’m so excited for my first half. I can’t wait. Thanks again for posting this. :)

July 31, 2009 at 9:27 am
  • Reply kymberli q.

I love this!!!!

August 2, 2009 at 1:49 am
  • Reply aron

mmm hmmm and what did you sign up for this past week ;)

August 2, 2009 at 8:56 pm