So back to this whole running thing.

So as I said yesterday, perhaps you may have read it, unless you immediately took my quiz because all you wanted was to win the $100 gift certificate, and therefor forgot to read the rest of the entry because you were so excited. Remember you have until Sunday to take the quiz, but you can only take it once!

So I’m slowly getting back to running. Let me tell you, sometimes, just giving yourself a break is necessary. I realized that my body was still recovering from the marathon, and then I got sick and wasn’t getting better so just taking some time to allow myself to heal was smart for me, personally. Getting back into exercising is hard, especially if you’ve taken a short break or stopped for a while.

I’d almost forgot those early morning running alarms until yesterday when I was jarred out of bed and sleepily washing my face. I had grown accustom to my warm bed and sleeping in. Once I had started going though, it felt good and I remembered how much I love running in the mornings, if I can make myself get up. Yesterday night Mr. R and I were suppose to run together but he tempted me with Taco Tuesday and I gave in, but we did walk around the outdoor mall by his house for a long time, so I figured that was better than watching TV.

Tomorrow morning I’m going to be running again, this time I have the more ‘speed work’ type workout with the tempo miles. We’ll see how fast I can get those to be, it should be interesting because I haven’t done speed work really since high school. I know I’ll need to start out with a warm-up mile though, I can never start off quick in the mornings. I have beenĀ  hearing stories about how hot it gets where some of you run, and I give you major props for being able to run in that heat andĀ  humidity! We are still having some June gloom here in CA, so hopefully this weekend or next it will be gone.

I know running takes time, and gaining the little bit of endurance I lost won’t take that long, but I still haven’t decided about a fall full or not. I keep flip flopping back and forth with what I will do at Long Beach as well. I guess after San Diego, I never had that feeling that so many people talk about how they wanted to do another one. After I crossed the finish line, I thought to myself, “well, I did that.” It was a very weird feeling, I think maybe I thought I would have some great sense of accomplishment, or some jubilant revelation as I crossed the finish line, but I never felt anything. Don’t get me wrong, I know it was an incredible accomplishment and I am very glad that I did do it, but I think it’s hard for me to think about doing another one after the feelings I had after the first one.

Perhaps I will change my mind, and I know I will probably run another one sooner or later, but I guess the question is really when, sooner or later? I’m definitely going to see how this upcoming half goes at the end of July and base my decision on that. It took me a while to gather my thoughts of the subject of how I felt after the marathon, because it definitely was a weird and unexpected feeling I also didn’t want to post about how I felt right after the marathon because I was still gaining my thoughts and trying to put everything together. I know I had some obstacles that also happened during the race, but I honestly think that they have nothing to do with my feelings toward the overall marathon and how things ended up.

I have had people tell me that because of my racing background ( I sound like some kind of racehorse or greyhound…) that I should have tried for a different goal, and I have had the majority of people tell me that ‘finishing the first one’ is a good goal. I am still surprised that I did run a marathon, but I guess the question I continue to wrestle with is, “Is the marathon a “bucket list” thing?” or “Do you want to run another marathon?” So we’ll see. Still sorting out some thoughts in my head I guess you can say.

26 Responses to So back to this whole running thing.

1. Sheila says:

Glad to hear you’re better and getting your running going again. In regards to running a marathon…I have so many friends who are doing multiples per year. I just can’t see it for me personally. I did Boston in April and I still don’t know if I will do another one (have done 4). Probably at some point. But it has to be something I REALLY want to do. It’s so time consuming to train for one, and the event itself it very trying. But for me, mostly it’s the training. That’s much longer lasting and more time consuming than the event itself.

I think you will know when it’s the right time for you to do another marathon, if ever. When you get some kind of excitement about the idea of a particular marathon, when you feel like, “Yeah I want to do that.” That will be the right one. And if you never do another one, that’s OK too.

2. GregSJ says:

I think starting to train again after some time off it the hardest part of running. You have to mentally rebuild all the momentum you had the kept pushing you out the door everyday.
    As far as marathon/half I say stick with the half. Running is supposed to be fun and if you aren’t motivated now to do the full think about how you’ll feel when you have to do all those training long runs.

3. Cory says:

Ran my first marathon in May and have already signed up for the Long Beach marathon. I felt the same way when I finished my first but after the soreness wore off I realized how disappointed I was in my time and the fact I walked as much as I did. It was really difficult for me to get going again but signing up for the next race has helped. See you on the Shoreline bike path.

4. B.o.B. says:

You’ll work it out, I’m sure. Just running for fun and fitness is never a bad thing. Sometimes we get caught up in training for something and forget that there is some joy to be had in just pounding pavement. (You looked adorable by the way, cute dress!)

5. aron says:

I totally agree with taking time off. I did after my first 2 and it really helped me. I was so excited to be running and training again!! I think everyone has different experiences and feelings towards the marathon. I think there was so much built up for you prior to it that it was kind of like ehh thats it? There also seemed to be a lot of outside pressure/expectations since you do have all that racing background. For me I know I just wanted to really train harder and beat my first time and now I am still trying to beat that second time :) I am excited to follow along and see what you pick!!

I need to take the quiz but its blocked at work :(

6. Alisa says:

After SD last year I was so ready to do another but then after Arizona I was not so sure about wanting to do another. Now, I’m content with having done three and I think I’ll stick to 1/2′s and maybe try a Tri. It’s different for everyone. I think I wanted to do another so bad b/c I wanted to prove that I could go faster. In the end, I think maybe, despite training my little heart out, I’m just not cut out for marathons (at least faster ones).

I think that dress is super cute, not 80′s!

7. Gina Harris says:

Nice to see you started back running. It’s hard after taking time off, I know from experience, but it’s great to get back into it. Just take things one day at a time. I have a feeling you’ll run another marathon. I know I will and have already registered for 2 more this year! lol

Beautiful dress you wore for the wedding, by the way.

Have an awesome day!

8. Katie says:

Good luck on the run! I will be excited to hear how it goes!

Don’t stress too much about another marathon. I know lots of ladies have said this ahead of me…but you will know when you’re ready. I have only done a few, and for me, I love every aspect. Kind of like you love the 1/2. Stick with what you love, and maybe soon (or not) you will have that itch again.

Again, cute dress!

9. Julia says:

I am very excited to see the Sweet Deals tomorrow!
    I definitely think you should listen to your body and base your decision after your half in July.
    And man, when is this June Gloom gonna go away? it’s basically July…. I want my sunshine back! (I live in Santa Barbara0

10. Chris Barber says:

Good luck on your tempo run!

11. Stuart says:

Take your time, marathon training is pretty full on mentally and physically!

You;ll find your groove soon enough!

12. Ron says:

Perhaps some cross-training is in order? Ever think about triathlon?

love the dress.

love the pics of you and ry!

can’t wait to hear how you guys met & all history behind your cutsie relationship.

as for the marathon, take your time and see how the half goes. you did say you were a half girl.. and you can rock those!

i think they should invent a boston 1/2 marathon too! youd for sure get in! :) ((not that you wouldnt BQ for a full mary, but i think you know what i mean))

14. Amy says:

I just started following you on twitter this week… Which lead me here to your blog. Being a runner myself I have had the same thought process this year. Do I do another full or do I just do halfs for fun? I thought of your post this morning when I went out for a run… You wrote how on earth did I run 26 miles! I know the feeling. But like someone else commented you just have to train your mind to do it again. Which is a battle I’m for sure facing right now! I thought I would switch it up this year and throw biking in the mix too, so I’m doing a 25 bike race this summer with the halfs. So good luck to you and keep blogging. My friends don’t fully understand my running obsession. Its good to see someone does!

15. Natalie says:

I love reading about your running, and I know you’ll sort things out soon. It’s so interesting to me how much of running is about our thoughts and feelings rather than just our muscles and endurance.

Oh and ps, I love your dress! I almost bought the same exact one, but I ended up with a hot pink sparkly thing that I have no idea where I’ll wear it, but I just HAD to have it. haha

Natalie

16. I totally get the uncertainty about your first marathon. I think it’s quite natural to feel that way about your first one. Heck, I haven’t even come to terms yet on how I feel about my first marathon…5 years ago!

Either way, you’ll figure it out. Good luck with your speedwork tomorrow.

17. diana says:

Super cute dress! Glad you are easing back in to running. Our bodies do need a break, hope your enjoyed it.

18. J says:

Good luck with the tempo run. I have been finding that warming up for the first mile of runs has been really helping. Love the wedding pictures!

19. Love your dress and you and Mr. R. look so cute together.

Returning to running after a marathon does take time, start slow and the “joy” will return shortly thereafter!

20. CharmCityKim says:

I love that dress!

As for running a marathon – that is definitely a bucket list item for me. Hopefully I’ll follow through with it!

21. Tara says:

love love your dress! you looked gorgeous

22. Denise says:

Ok, what am i doing wrong? No matter what I try, I can’t get your new address to link up right. I cut and paste it to follow but it takes me right back to your blogspot address. Anyone else having problems?

23. Marlene says:

Gahhh, I have added your new URL to my ‘follow’ list a dozen times and every time it immediately changes to the old blogspot address. I can’t figure out why! so annoying…

Anyway, that’s why I’m a little behind. Hopefully I can work this out.

Glad to hear that a little R & R was what you needed.

24. Megan says:

look how cute you look!! i kind of love that dress!!

glad to hear you’re getting back to your running. i’m one of those crazy one’s running in 100 + degree heat. I should get up in the a.m. but oh how i love my sleep!!

25. Glenn Jones says:

Great pics as usual Danica! As you can tell I am in catch up mode today.

I wouldn’t feel guilty – marathons aren’t for everyone. Look at our buddy Charlie. He hadn’t done one since like 2004 or something.

To me, it’s all about keeping it fun and fresh. If it ain
    t fun, I’m not going to do it – that’s for sure. That’s why you’ll never see me talking about ultras or tris or any of that junk!