Ice baths and Training Plans and New Playlist ideas… oh my!

Many people have asked me how I figured out my first training plan for my half back in October, and even how to start running. I know many people who have had a lot of success with the Couch to 5k plan for beginners, you can find the plans here, here, or here.I really believe that one of the most important aspects of starting out running is to take everything slowly. If you start running and feel great and think that it’s time to ditch the plan, don’t. Give the plan a chance, and though sometimes it may seem easy, it just means you are improving! Give yourself a chance, and allow yourself the opportunity to succeed.Whenever signing up for a race, remember, every distance is an automatic pr or personal record. ENJOY your training! Realize what you are doing and how great it is, no matter the distance or time run. When I started, I didn’t think I could actually run 13 miles. The most I usually was running at the time was only 3 miles. Imagine my surprise when I was getting into the longer distances. You have to not be scared of the distance and improving either. Once I signed up, the race motivated me to get out there and complete my training runs, whether they were for 2 miles or 10 miles.

It sounds funny, but remember to breath and just go at your own pace. You are doing it for yourself and if that means 20 minute miles or 6 minute miles, focus on yourself. If you have to stop and catch your breath, do it! Don’t think that because you have to go ‘run’ a mile, means you have to run the whole time, do things in your own comfort level. If you are tired, slow down, I do it. It’s not a big deal. Sometimes I feel fast and can run 8 minute miles, sometimes I feel bad and I run 15 minute miles and walk and look around, it’s YOUR thing, no one elses.Each mile you have to take one at a time, usually my first mile is much slower than the rest of the workout, but each mile is different. You have to be able to listen to your body and also don’t stop and don’t give up. For me, especially on the longer runs, I ALWAYS break my run into smaller runs. When I first started, I looked at every distance as a mile. If I ran 2 miles, I thought to myself, one mile out and then one mile back home, then I’m done. Then each distance grew and I made them into 5ks and then 10ks. I knew I could run a 5k, I told myself it was only 1.5 mile out and 1.5 mile back. Even in the longer distances, I always count backwards. If I’m feeling bad, I just think okay, just keep running to that sign, okay now to the next sign, now to that building. You realize you can keep going. I cannot say it enough, but Believe that you can do it.

As for some other training plans, for my first half, I followed a training plan loosely based on this article from Runners World, there are a lot of great resources on that website for training, workouts and everything, but remember, the most important thing is to do it for yourself, and to listen to your body.
Now onto my most hated, the ice bath. I personally dislike being cold and the ice bath is NOT my favorite thing to do, but I do have to admit, it does help me a lot. Each person is different though. I only do ice baths after a long run, which to me, now is anything over 10 miles, just because I know it will help me feel better. I usually fill my tub and then sit in it for 10 minutes. While I’m in the ice bath, I make sure that I move my ankles a lot. Up and down, back and forth in circles, and I make sure I move my toes a lot too. Those parts of my feet get really sore, and it feels so good to move them around and I feel like it makes them much less sore the next day.

Here are some sweet links to check out about ice baths: Ice Bath Therapy, How To Ice Bath, another bloggers ice bath, Post Run Ice Baths, A HOW TO VIDEO. First off the video is HILARIOUS, but the related videos, be aware don’t know what those are about, so be aware. I usually sit in there in my swimsuit bottoms and have my phone to distract me or listen to music. The first few minutes are pretty bad, no joke, but then you kind of ‘get used to it’ and you can handle it. Plus, reminding yourself how far you just ran and that you can TOTALLY do this, helps too :)

Now, some new jams you ask for?
Well, let me tell you, there are some great running jams out there right now. Also my friend Bama Belle helped me find some sweet jams too!
Faded by Cascada
Turn my Swag On by Soulja Boy (has a good beat)
Welcome to the World by Kevin Rudolf (another great super upbeat song)
Knock you Down by Keri Hilson (LOVE this song always gets me moving best line is “I’m the new slick rick”, for some reason I love that line, and they say, “It feels like I’m running a race, but I’ve already won first place! Yes! Running references!)
Waking up in Vegas by Katy Perry (first time I heard this song I didn’t like it, but now I love it!)
Lovegame by Lady GaGa (kind of a crazy song but I still like it)
Goodbye by Kristinia Debarge (Love the beat!)
I’m the Ish (Remix) by DJ Class (totally have to give props to Tara for this one! :) )
A Punk by Vampire Weekend (it makes my head bob around)
We Run LA by Ya Boy (How can you NOT Run to this song?!)
Beggin by Madcon (like the song, once it speeds up)

Do what you do by Marz ft. Pack and Mumiez

I am obsessed with this song. It’s perfect for running because it has a beat in the back that makes you keep going and it’s HILARIOUS because it’s the song from the Kia Hamster commercial that me and my roommate are obsessed with. If you are listening to it on your run just think of the cute little hamsters bobbing their heads and you will seriously laugh out loud to yourself. I don’t even like hamsters and I think it’s cute. Check out the Commerical here. Our favorite part is the hamster in the backseat who just taps his fingers, and I love when they smile at the camera out the window. You smart people at Kia! Soon you’ll be thinking: Front, back, side to side, Front, Front, back, back, side to side.

and normal not running person side note: though not the best running song, I do love the Fray’s cover of Heartless, if you haven’t heard it yet, find it on youtube, it’s great!

Here are some more sweet running blogs to check out JoyRun, who is super cute and I love her site, Nitmos is super smart and has a lot of insight, Vanilla crosses the line in so many ways possible and is hilarious, but sometimes his jokes go over my head, ha ha, and the Running Laminator who is great in real world experiences, he’s fast and an inspiration to me as well!

Tomorrow we’ll tackle some topics like chafing and GUS ha ha ha, yes!

PS Watched the Bachelorette last night. (obviously) WOW, not so impressed with that many guys on the show… but seriously, there are more tool sheds on that show that found in an ace hardware, and I’m sad that my hometown the LBC was badly represented. :( Fail ABC. I did notice there were a TON of guys from So. Cal and Texas? hmmm, a bunch of single desperate men in these parts? Weird. Still, I’m obsessed with Jillian and can’t wait till next week. Dancing with the Stars fans, get over Melissa, if she wins I will be sourly disappointed. She’s a cheerleader. She dances like a cheerleader. Her finale dance was sadly awful and I expected much more from her. What am I, a tv critic? Rant over.

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

• Reply Shannon

Thanks for the new songs!! I’m always listening for new songs to run to! And I love the hamster commercial!

May 19, 2009 at 10:40 am
  • Reply onelittletrigirl

You are so right- I never thought a year ago that I would run a half-but this past Sunday I did!! I started out slow and built up just like you suggest and it worked!!

ps- Sunday was also my first ice bath; ice baths are no joke- HOLY COLDNESS!

May 19, 2009 at 10:42 am
  • Reply *~! megs !~*

already stated. hated melissa.

new song by michael franti and spearhead “say hey (i love you)” simply rocks. i just added it to my ipod

May 19, 2009 at 10:44 am
  • Reply Lucky in Love

This is such a wonderful post! As a new runner, you truly keep me inspired while I am running and help me to know that I can keep going.

I found some great ideas for stretching from your links which I have been looking for!

I think it’s hard not to compare yourself to others who are running, but it is essential to do your own thing and find what works for you. Thank for pointing that out.

May 19, 2009 at 10:45 am
  • Reply Lisa

Love your advice on training. I’m about to embark on a HM training plan and the most I have run is 4 miles. Intimidating at times but deep down I know I can do it. I’m bookmarking this post to re-read when I need encouragement. Thanks for a great post!

May 19, 2009 at 10:46 am
  • Reply Vanilla

Thanks for the link. I don’t do Ice Baths, I do hot tubs. Not as good for you but it feels much better.

May 19, 2009 at 10:57 am
  • Reply Jeri

Thanks for the new songs. I downloaded a bunch during your last list of recommendations and am in sore need of some new ones!! :)

May 19, 2009 at 11:08 am
  • Reply Mel -Tall Mom on the Run

Thanks for the song ideas my power song right now is “Untouched” by the Vernioca’s but my Ipod needs some serious updating..

May 19, 2009 at 11:15 am
  • Reply * Tyly *

I love this. You are so inspiring!

May 19, 2009 at 11:21 am
  • Reply Mrs. G.I Joe

Such a cool post! Thanks for all the insight and uplifting because I do have to stop sometimes and I am that 12 miniute mile girl:)awesome songs too!

May 19, 2009 at 11:22 am
  • Reply Rikki

Thanks for the awesome songs! I’ve already downloaded them all! My running playlist was in desperate need of a makeover!! Thank You!!

May 19, 2009 at 11:25 am
  • Reply runningcommentaries

The ice bath is such a necessary evil– emphasis on the evil!! I’m going to have to do some serious itunes shopping now… my running playlist is getting a little stale!

May 19, 2009 at 11:28 am
  • Reply Jamie

Ok let me just say you totally rock and I have lost my MOJO for running. I need to get it back… REALLY!

May 19, 2009 at 11:32 am
  • Reply Brown Eyed Girl

Downloading all of your song choices tonight!! Can’t wait! I love your tips. Not sure I could ever do an ice bath, but I’m also not sure I will ever run 10 miles!

Quick question – do you ever have knee problems?? Since the Shred video/elliptical combo my knees have been super soar. Every morning they hurt and it doesn’t let up throughout the day. Just wondering if you had any good remedies for it. I think I’ll switch it up and go for a run outside tonight :) You would be so proud!! HA

May 19, 2009 at 11:32 am
  • Reply Adventures in Newlywed

Thanks for the playlist suggestions, I was wondering what song was in that hamster commercial :)

I totally agree, Melissa should not win Dancing with the Stars – personally I’m rooting for Gilles, but Shawn is great too…

May 19, 2009 at 11:48 am
  • Reply X-Country2

I’ve recently discovered the beloved ice bath. I couldn’t do it in the winter, but now that it’s hot and humid around here, I loooove it. Thanks for the links!

May 19, 2009 at 11:49 am
  • Reply Brooke

I’ve been hearing several of those songs lately, wondering what they were called and who they were by… Thank you! I’m stoked, now they’re on my iPod! WOO WOO!

May 19, 2009 at 11:49 am
  • Reply KBroome

You have answered all of my questions! Thank you so much!

May 19, 2009 at 11:57 am
  • Reply Alisa

I dont’t like being cold either but the ice bath so helps!

I heart your running playlist suggestions. Thanks!

May 19, 2009 at 12:03 pm
  • Reply littlesack

thanks for the link to the playlist post and thanks for all the new songs! I am slowly buying them from itunes =)

I totally agree about breaking runs into small distances. On long stretches of road where I can see for forever, i pick a post about a 100 yards out and run to it, then pick something else out, etc. works great!

May 19, 2009 at 12:10 pm
  • Reply Nitmos

I don’t often comment but feel compelled now, of course, due to your friendly link. Thanks! My personal opinion is that you should have been a bit more hurtful when describing Vanilla. ;)

May 19, 2009 at 12:18 pm
  • Reply Janice {Run Far}

I totally want melissa to win…. I know she is not the best dancer left, but…. the guy gilles, although he is very hot and has a nice body and yes a good dancer, I can’t not get myself to vote for someone who got famous because of showing is penius in a movie… yuck… now shawn… I could handle seeing her win, she is so cute.

May 19, 2009 at 12:20 pm
  • Reply Surrounded By Boys

I think Melissa will win DWTS because I think the whole thing is RIGGED! She was probably about to SUE the network for what they did to her, and they offered her this to keep her from going after them! “Hey, so what if you got dumped by that loser on national TV – we can give you a chance as SUPERSTARDOM on our most popular show!”

May 19, 2009 at 12:22 pm
  • Reply Chad in the AZ Desert

Those first few moment of the ice bath are really rough. But it helps my legs after long, hard runs sooooooooo much.

May 19, 2009 at 12:29 pm
  • Reply RunToFinish

i finally switched to an epsom salt bath because I just can’t do the ice baths during winter training. I may try them again over the summer, but the salts work well for me!

the bachelorrette isn’t a show I can get in to..something about the whole thing just creeps me out

May 19, 2009 at 12:42 pm
  • Reply Denise

I remember how great it felt hitting the longer distances while training for the marathon. It’s such a great feeling. I never thought I’d be one of those people, but turns out I am.

And I’m starting to like the ice bath, too!

May 19, 2009 at 12:44 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

Thanks for the Shout-out! I’m honored to be named as a resource although I think you’re a bit more of an inspiration than I.

All your advice about breaking down the long runs to small manageable chunks is so right and important to keep in mind.

Keep up the awesome running and inspiring! I love hearing about your running adventures!

May 19, 2009 at 1:02 pm
  • Reply ShutUpandRun

Thanks for all the song ideas. I am SO sick of everything on my iPod I am losing it.

May 19, 2009 at 1:25 pm
  • Reply Marlene

That’s some great advice. I wish I had read this when I was ‘learning’ to run.

May 19, 2009 at 1:27 pm
  • Reply jlc

Thanks for posting these! I really could use them!!

May 19, 2009 at 1:29 pm
  • Reply Adam

Coming out of my lurker hole to comment. I LOVE the hampsters comerecial / song. Front..back..side to side… front front….

Gosh, I can’t believe that I commented on hampsters driving a car of all things. This youtube may just end up on my blog!!

May 19, 2009 at 1:43 pm
  • Reply Ms. V.

dang. i am old. i know none of those songs.

May 19, 2009 at 1:48 pm
  • Reply Heather C

I have yet to enter the world of ice-bathing, but definitely know I need to start at SOME point. ha, thanks for the links!!! AND the NEW songs – oh, man. I heart music so so much!

May 19, 2009 at 2:03 pm
  • Reply Billy Burger

@ Ms. V – haha…I was about to post the EXACT same thing! Man, when did I get so out of touch?

May 19, 2009 at 3:26 pm
  • Reply ~Mrs. Guru~

Thanks for all the great tips!

May 19, 2009 at 3:58 pm
  • Reply Katie

I just wanted to let you know that i love your blog for stories, tips and advice. Thanks so much!

May 19, 2009 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Carolina Girl

Your running advice always inspires me SO much!!

ps I haven’t watched yet, but a friend of mine knows Brian, one of the bachelors. This should be an intriguing season for sure.

May 19, 2009 at 4:43 pm
  • Reply Sarah

I migh try the ice bath, my feet have been killing me espeically my achelies tendon

May 19, 2009 at 5:21 pm
  • Reply J

I love how some of the best running songs have come from commercials. Like the songs in the ipod commercials…there is just something about them and the beat. They are supposed to get peoples attention so i guess it worked!

May 19, 2009 at 7:09 pm

Yay for ice bath! Ocean’s too warm now to do the trick… :(

May 19, 2009 at 10:39 pm
  • Reply joyRuN

Big ol’ thanks for the linky lurve, girl!!

May 20, 2009 at 12:49 am
  • Reply Oz Runner

great post! i can relate and agree with all your running tips…love your blog….

i watched just the end of the bachelorette the other night, there are 2 from my neck of the woods on there, wanted to see if they made it through (they did)…

May 20, 2009 at 4:38 am
  • Reply maria k

i will have to check out your song reccomendations. i love in ‘day n nite’ when he goes..”i try to run but im not that fast. im thinkin first but surely finish last”

May 20, 2009 at 6:59 am
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

Thanks for the jams!!! I am previewing We Run LA (running AND an LA reference?? golden!) right now and I love it! Totally downloading it!

May 20, 2009 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply aron

you are awesome :) its so fun to watch runners progress, and i cannot wait to be there for your first marathon!!!!! eeeee 10 days!

May 21, 2009 at 10:30 am
  • Reply OhMyLaughter

I know I don’t comment that often, but I really like following such a “hardcore” runner and appreciate all of your tips.

One more song that gets me moving when I run “I’m on a Boat” The Lonely Island feat. T-Pain. HILARIOUS. It’s sadly kind of short. But great for a burst of energy.

May 22, 2009 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply Runwithme

Check out the song, “Race You” by Elizabeth and the Catapult. My son is opening for this awesome group next month in DC! (I’m pondering whether to run the MTC marathon in October, but I live in Miss.)

May 24, 2009 at 11:52 am
  • Reply New Jams in time for the holidays! | Chic Runner

[…] also posted many more play list idea on this post, this post, this post, this post, and this […]

December 18, 2009 at 9:23 am
  • Reply Q&A Running Answers | Chic Runner

[…] All these posts get me going! (here, here, here, here, here, here, here) I love rap music but oddly enough, every time I heard “I’m like a […]

April 27, 2010 at 7:02 am