What do you name a new baby?

So obviously I’ve never had the opportunity to name a new child, since I’ve never had a child. I named my cat when I was 5. I named her Whisker Silly. Imagine going to the vet and having to go in the room after ‘Whisker Silly’ was called. Sadly, Whisker died my senior year. Rip Whisks. Then we move onto my dog. I have named a dog before, my dog Cassie, which I named after my favorite food, casseroles. Sadly, I named her my junior year of high school, so I can’t blame her name on any lapse of knowledge, but her name fits her well. Unfortunately she can’t live with me at our house, so she lives with my dad and our other dog named Cody, which I SWEAR I named but my brother claims that he named. Lies I tell you.So I have been told that you must name your Garmin. I feel that I definitely agree. I have decided in between a few names and wanted to have you guys help me to decide!

Photobucket

When the little child came to mama yesterday!

I think the name Claude reminds me of a little crab that would run fast. The name Marvin just kind of makes me laugh. I like the name Thor because it sounds powerful and I also like the name Hermes because it sounds so classy, and he was the Greek god of Travel. So many options! Here are some other pictures of the child if you would like to take a good look before picking a name

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

This morning I ran 4 miles with the Garmin and it really is amazing. Though I never found an in depth review out there, I always had heard only great things about Garmins and I am too now a follower. I will post a much more in depth review next week with pictures and in detailed explanations because I would love to share that with you guys like I did for the hatphones.

There is one small problem that I have encountered with the Garmin thus far though. I have very small wrists and they are very bony. Weird, but true and this means that I have to pull the Garmin almost to the last notch. If I had regular sized wrists I feel that it would sit in the right place on my wrist and be able to stay there. Since my wrists are so small it rubs against the bone that I have there. The only idea I’ve had thus far is too wear a sweatband type wristband underneath because after only four miles the little bone was a little bruised and almost rubbed raw. I was wondering if anyone else has this problem.

I hope to run another 4 miles with Mr. R tonight to show him how amazing it is, and then maybe he’ll realize that it’s worth the $$$ and won’t be so mad. :) I did 150 sit ups this morning and will the remaining tonight along with my push-ups. I hope everyone has a great St. Patrick’s Day! Some co-workers and I are going to go to lunch and drink some green beer, which I’ve never had. Perhaps I’ll share some pictures tomorrow.

Remember to vote!!

77 Responses to What do you name a new baby?

1. TinaGirl says:

I like Marvin, like marvin the martian since it is a “satalite” device. My friend has your problem and she uses a sweat band, it seemed to help.

2. jlc says:

Hahah!! You are hysterical! And your nails look GREAT btw…

I vote Marvin too!

3. The Running Knitter says:

I vote for Thor. :)

4. skinnyrunner.com says:

i think you should name it “tiddles” or “bewbies”. why? because those words are funny.

5. Vava says:

Congrats on the new toy! I guess I missed the memo about having to name ones Garmin. I just trust it implicitly and show my respect by making sure to note in every post that “Garmin don’t lie.”

As far as naming goes, I think you should go with a good name for a coach since that’s what this thing will end up being. Pick one that is synonymous with a hardcase too, like Mike Keenan in the NHL or Bill Parcels in the NFL. Vince Lombardi’s a classic of course. Tommy Lasorda for that baseball southern California thing maybe?

My vote, however, goes to the name “Scotty” after perhaps the greatest head coach in all of professional sports (arguably) Scotty Bowman. 9 Stanley Cups is nothing to sneeze at. A good second choice might be “Red” (the watch IS red after all) after Red Auerbach (9 NBA rings).

Anyway, have fun with it!

Velcro bands can be had at GPScity.ca, though I don’t know if they ship to the USA. There’s got to be an equivalent south of the border so I’m sure you can get one. My boss swears by his, but I’m still using the strap that came with the watch with no problems.

6. Marci says:

I voted for Hermes myself!

7. Borsch says:

Have fun with the new baby!

FYI – DC Rainmaker has really good reviews…

8. mrjwhit~ says:

Hey… you mean I am supposed to name my Garmin? I didn’t know that. I call it my “run watch”.

9. R1-n-R2 says:

I love my Garmin…er, the garmin I bought for my husband one year for a gift. I've basically claimed it as mine.

I agree though..it's bulky & uncomfortable. It reminds me of Inspector Gadget's watch. I've been wearing long sleeves underneath it (cold weather here) and that seems to help, so maybe the wrist band thing will help? Or maybe wearing it loose (although then it will turn and turn…). Or get the velcro attachment…that seems pretty nifty

10. Christy says:

I voted for Claude. Sounds very sophisticated for some reason.

Also, found your blog from x-country2. Hope you don’t mind if I add you to my blog list!

11. Beth says:

Get the velcro strap that is part of the quick release kit. You can get it on Amazon. I have a scar on my wrist from my old band. Have fun with it!

12. Lisa says:

I’ve read that the sweat band around the wrist works well for those with smaller wrists. I’m looking forward to reading your review of the Garmin as it is something that I’d like to get eventually. Have fun with it.

13. Kristen says:

I vote for Hermes because it reminds me of beautiful purses!

I have the 305 and I also have mine set on the last notch. It hurt at first but now I don’t even feel it alothough I like your sweatband idea!

Can’t wait to hear the name!

14. D10 says:

I have small wrists too. I found that if I wear the garmin face down it fits much better and is more comfortable. But, I always wear my watches this way.

15. onelittletrigirl says:

Marvin Garmin is the best!!

16. Oz Runner says:

wow that garmin looks huge on your wrist…good luck picking a name…I voted for Thor because, like you said, it sounds powerful..the other name sound weak…

17. Steve Stenzel says:

REALLY?!? People name their Garmin?!? I haven’t heard of this!!

What about Kermit?

18. Glenn Jones says:

Danica – make sure to check out Sporttracks at http://www.zonefivesoftware.com. A brief review here: http://therunningfatguy.blogspot.com/2009/01/sporttracks-software.html

19. quite contrary says:

i really want one of those watches!

i left you something on my blog!

20. Tara Gibson says:

ooo I WANT! I voted Marvin but I like hermes too! : )

21. Natalie D says:

i voted marvin, i always thought garmin was a lil big

22. Stuart says:

Switch out the rubber strap for a quick release one, they’re velcro and much more adjustable and won’t rub your delicate *boney* wrists!

Marvin…that’s sad but slightly better than Claude! WTF!

23. Meghan says:

I have that same problem with my Garmin..it really bothers my wrists! What I do is place it a little higher up on my wrist..not near the bone.

24. Jesse N. says:

I’m incredibly jealous of your Garmin. As much as I enjoy my Nike+ it just doesn’t cut it anymore.

25. Ms. V. says:

As Eddie Izzard would say: Thor, God of Thunder.

Thor. That’s you, thunder girl.

26. Marathon Maritza says:

I voted for Thor because it made me think of that movie I watched as a kid, Adventures In Babysitting. Remember that one?

“Oh, Thor, might god of thunder!”

27. lindsay says:

how exciting! i am glad the relationship is off to a good start, and hopefully dear garmin has a good name of it’s own soon.

umm no worries about naming pets. i named my first dog tuesday. bet you can guess why…
    my sister named her cat fluffy kitty foo foo. i don’t know if it can get worse than that. :)