Gym Freaks and Deals

Last night at the gym I kicked my own butt, but let me tell you, the meatballs and freaks were out last night. I don’t know why but my 24 hour fitness seems to be chock-full of the best people watching material ever. Yes, it does make my workout a little bit more interesting, but it’s also annoying with a weirdly chubby but buff armed Steve Jobs look-a-like won’t get off the cable cross machine. After waiting for 20 minutes I gave up. Sits ups were done, free weights were done, StairMaster was done as well, next to a guy who couldn’t stop checking himself out in the mirror. Wonderful.

There are so many characters at the gym, I am almost thinking of making one day a week dedicated to describing one specific person I see at the gym. I feel like this would be humorous, if not to you, then me! We’ll see I know I could take months just describing a small number of the wonderful specimens there last night.

Then I got in a quick mile. a very quick seven minute on the dot mile. I don’t know why I did that but I had so much adrenaline I just kicked up the treadmill and got after it. Oh well, taking it easy today and going to get in some slow easy miles tomorrow and Saturday before the 15 mile trail run on Sunday in Malibu.

Deals of the day

Men

Pearl Izumi Singlet; Normally $30, Now $19.93

Saucony Shorts; Normally $33, Now $24

Brooks Shorts; Normally $31, Now $21

Adidas Singlet; Normally $44, Now $19

Mizuno Shorts; Normally $34, Now $19

Now, I have been working on putting on some songs together to let everyone know what I listen to while I work out, if you care. Tomorrow this will be posted. I have separated them into sections too, because you can listen to the same songs while doing a sloggy 8 miles, versus running a quick two or three miles. Those are power songs! So check in tomorrow for this play list and maybe some songs that you might want to download!

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

41 Comments

• Reply Tara

oh how I heart gym freaks!!! lol I would thoroughly enjoy an update of your 24hour fitness freak of the week!!! seriously..i would! haha

looking forward to the play list..I always love to know what others listen to when they are workin’ on their fitness :)

March 5, 2009 at 11:52 am
  • Reply RunWithMe

Can’t wait for the play list. I can always use some new ideas, esp. for those long runs.

Yep, always something interesting to see at the gym.

March 5, 2009 at 11:56 am
  • Reply LyndsAU

arent’ people at the gym hilarious!! it cracks me up everytime. it’s mostly men at my gym that leave me wondering “Do you not realize I can see you???”

March 5, 2009 at 12:06 pm
  • Reply aron

awesome job on the 7 min mile!! :)

for my tempo run last night I have a tempo playlist that plays my current 5 power songs over and over :) I would go crazy listening to those songs on a slower run though!

March 5, 2009 at 12:15 pm
  • Reply Lacey Nicole

i am always looking for song ideas!!!!! can’t wait :)

March 5, 2009 at 12:35 pm
  • Reply Liana

haha i love watching people at the gym!! when i go in the morning all the football guys are there–and i swear its a group effort, its like 3 to a machine and they stand there while they take their turns grunting over the weights!!

March 5, 2009 at 12:37 pm
  • Reply http://gokristen.wordpress.com

Gym freaks are the worst! They drive me up the wall! I always love the older woman that is stuck in the 80s…looks like she just stepped out of a Richard Simmon’s workout video…

March 5, 2009 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply Denise

Oh, I always want to post about people I come across at the gym. Like the guy who blew his nose in his hand then continued on with his workout. Or the guy who lifts up his shirts and rubs his abs. But I didn’t think anyone cared! All this time you would have enjoyed it!!

March 5, 2009 at 12:42 pm
  • Reply Chloe

love the blog! I just had to laugh about the gym freaks.. too funny!

March 5, 2009 at 12:54 pm
  • Reply RunningLaur

I fully support the idea of a weekly description, weirdo Wednesday? It’s too hilarious.

March 5, 2009 at 12:55 pm
  • Reply Vava

Has this whole MMA craze hit your gym yet? The specimens that like to think of themselves as some sort of tough dudes (mirror checking? yes. shadow boxing? bloody hell yes. “sparring”? get the hell out of this gym please!) invaded my local gym a while back. Luckily I no longer have a membership and don’t have to watch them strut their “stuff”.

March 5, 2009 at 1:15 pm
  • Reply Jamie

LOL you know I would LOVE the freak descriptions. I think its a great idea. Keep me entertained! =) I think am running at lunch today. LOL I will be stinky/sweaty at work for the rest of the day but maybe it will keep people away =) LOL!

March 5, 2009 at 1:27 pm
  • Reply Marlene

I hear you on the freakazoids at the gym!

Looking forward to some music suggestions.

March 5, 2009 at 1:53 pm
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

Yay! I love gym people watching! I need to hear who’s at your 24h Fitness, cuz you’ve heard about the weirdos at mine!

And yes, I wanna hear your playlist! I’m always down for more music. I also want to know specifically what you listened to yesterday during your 7 min mile. :)

Stop posting deals, I still can’t shop. :( wahhhhhh

P.S. SB in SD!

March 5, 2009 at 1:55 pm
  • Reply runjen

Can’t wait for your playlist!! I need some new ideas bad!

My old gym was the same in terms of excellent people watching. I find the later in the evening it gets, the more the gym seems to turn into a meat market too. Funny stuff.

March 5, 2009 at 2:01 pm
  • Reply Bob Hazen

Ok this has been bugging me for a while. I noticed you had Coached. All I can say is go CVCS – yeah I’m an alum.

March 5, 2009 at 2:15 pm
  • Reply Billy Burger

Take a camera to the gym next time! ;)

March 5, 2009 at 2:16 pm
  • Reply Alisa

Love the people watching!

Can’t wait to hear your “power songs”…I just got a few new ones myself.

March 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Running Around Acres

can’t wait for the big hair power ballads i know are coming. Come on, you can tell us – closet 80’s freak aren’t ya?

People watching at gyms can be a lot of fun.

March 5, 2009 at 2:21 pm
  • Reply Niki

Can’t wait for the playlist! I am always in the need for more songs to run to!

March 5, 2009 at 2:27 pm
  • Reply Jenny

I hate machine hoggers at the gym!! The worst is the guy who uses the squat rack for bicep curls. Yes, bicep curls. Argh!

March 5, 2009 at 2:51 pm
  • Reply E

i can’t wait to see your song list! i am dying right now because i keep hearing the same stuff over and over and i desperatly need some new music! thanks for the info on those shorts, by the way- although my legs are nowhere near as fabulous as yours, so i don’t know if i can pull them off! :)

March 5, 2009 at 3:59 pm
  • Reply Ms. V.

A sloggy 8 miles to you might be my fastest! :) Can’t wait to see the list.

I heart Malibu (I’m from Woodland Hills)…

And, FYI, the Calabasas Classic (November 8) run opened today for registration, and I have to say I thought it was a pretty run! (I’m easy though). Gorgeous area, and nice schwag!

March 5, 2009 at 4:43 pm
  • Reply Amber

There’s tons of weirdo’s at my gym too. Sometimes it’s hilarious, sometimes just plain annoying.

March 5, 2009 at 5:31 pm
  • Reply Pat

You have to take some secret pics of the gym freaks!

March 5, 2009 at 5:34 pm
  • Reply Lou Lou

Yayy can’t wait to hear (or see I guess) your playlists!

March 5, 2009 at 6:48 pm
  • Reply The Happy Runner

Nice job on the speedy mile!

March 5, 2009 at 8:12 pm
  • Reply RunToFinish

you always have such great deals to post, love it!

hmm what kind of songs will you be posting…a little 80’s…a little beyonce?

March 5, 2009 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply kristen

I can’t wait to see your playlist.

March 5, 2009 at 8:21 pm
  • Reply joyRuN

Your post made me lurv my little community center all the more. It's primarily older retired peeps, & only in the summertime do we get the mirror hogs.

March 5, 2009 at 8:41 pm
  • Reply Run Saraah

I haven’t been to the gym in ages, but my friend and I would be entertained by the characters at the gym…in turn they were probably entertained by me!

March 5, 2009 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply Run For Life

I always wonder about people in the gym because there are definitely a lot of characters!

Yay for the upcoming playlist! I’m always looking for some good running tunes. :)

March 5, 2009 at 9:27 pm
  • Reply Wearing Mascara

LOL about the specimens at the gym. You’re so right! Can’t wait for the play list :-)

March 5, 2009 at 10:06 pm
  • Reply Stuart

Gotta love them gym freaks…see you Sunday!

March 5, 2009 at 11:41 pm
  • Reply X-Country2

I spent 1 week at a gym, and you’re right. People watching central! The clothing alone was a trip.

March 6, 2009 at 12:28 am
  • Reply Oz Runner

I love to people watch…the airport is another fun place to do that, but the gym is good too…have a good trail run this weekend.

March 6, 2009 at 4:25 am
  • Reply Fair Weather Runner

I love your gym freaks assesment, it’s so true! The meat heads crack me up, I LOVE IT when they stare at themselves. Seriously who needs a TV or iPod at the gym, PLENTY of entertainment there.

Thanks for the deals too. BRILLIANT.

March 6, 2009 at 8:04 am
  • Reply onelittletrigirl

I used to have a blog dedicated to Top Ten lists- it wouldnt have been complete without the one about “those” people at the gym. It was one of the most read entries. Who can’t relate?!? The list far surpassess ten!

March 6, 2009 at 11:13 am
  • Reply lindsay

hahaha. i can’t wait to hear about your gym freaks! there certainly are some characters at any gym.

my old gym had a girl we called ‘booty shorts girl’ ’cause well, she’d wear some non-existent shorts! she wore regular bras and often this “slave to fashion” tank top. she had such a great workout ethic, it’s amazing how her 12 layers of makeup never melted off. i always meant to ask her how she managed that…

March 6, 2009 at 12:09 pm
  • Reply kilax

You should tell us about your gym friends. People have so many funny habits… it’s fun to read. Makes me feel like less of a goober!

March 6, 2009 at 12:16 pm
  • Reply P.O.M.

Hey girlie! Hope you’re doing good. I agree that the gym has the oddest collection of freakballs out there. I blogged about the people at my gym a while ago:

Check it out :)