5 miles of a good head clearing

So claudeskipoo let me down a little bit and wouldn’t find a satellite for a while yesterday. It’s okay, I’ve since forgiven him but it was a while, meaning oh like 2 miles. I knew the route though and got in a really good run and did some hill work to try to strengthen my quads up in hopes that my knee wouldn’t be sore for this weekend. I feel well and ran an average pace of 8:15 for 5 miles.

Do you ever have those workouts where you feel like your head is just cleared and you can keep running and it just feels so good. That was the workout last night. It felt freaking good to be out and running. Even though it was cold and I decided to wear shorts (stupid) and it was incredibly windy. I still felt good. I didn’t bring my ipod and I still felt really good. It felt good to remember how a run feels. A run that you don’t get tired on, that isn’t way too far, that you don’t have to suck down gus and drink tons of water to finish.

Just a leisurely run. One that gets the heart rate up but doesn’t get you overly sweaty to the point where you reek. It was so calming to be able to watch the lights of Long Beach light up against the dark night sky and to hear the ocean lapping at the sand. It was good to hear my feet continue to pound the pavement. The sand on the path squishing under my shoes.

It was nice to hear my consistent breath, the huffing and puffing as I climbed the hills. Invigorating. That’s what running can be if you give it the chance. It’s always good to be able to come back to something that gives you peace, and allows you to think.

To me, Running is always there. I can always tie up my shoes and take off for three miles, for five mile, for fifteen miles. It’s something that no matter the time of day, no matter the day you’ve had, no matter the people around you, or anything else, you can still do it. You can still get out and run. I love that. I love running.

Photobucket

Though this picture isn’t at the beach, it’s one of my favorite running pictures.

Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

54 Comments

• Reply X-Country2

THAT is why I love running! Great post.

It’s so hard to explain to people who don’t do it. I always get sad when people say running=punishment to them.

March 24, 2009 at 11:12 am
  • Reply LyndsAU

glad you had a great run!! those are the best!

March 24, 2009 at 11:13 am
  • Reply Megan

Wow! Such a beautiful post! I couldn’t have said it better myself! =)

March 24, 2009 at 11:13 am
  • Reply Shannon

That’s what I love about running too – it’s always there and it only takes YOU to do it – no team, no counting on others, just yourself. :) Glad you had a great run – I did as well!

March 24, 2009 at 11:17 am
  • Reply aron

very well said girl… that is exactly it :) glad you were able to clear your head!!

i wont start my run until G finds a sattelite :)

March 24, 2009 at 11:20 am
  • Reply Lucky in Love

So glad you had a great run! I’d love to run 5 miles and not be sweaty :) I run two minutes and I’m dripping :)

March 24, 2009 at 11:24 am
  • Reply the gazelle

That is the best part about running – and the best runs are the meditative head-clearing runs that feel like they could go on forever! Sounds awesome.

March 24, 2009 at 11:37 am
  • Reply Vicki T

it’s super cheesy but I often think of the ad campaign from “What Women Want” when I’m running: No Games, Just Sports.
    It just kind of sums up the freedom and individuality of the sport.

March 24, 2009 at 11:38 am
  • Reply Jamie

That’s awesome that you had a good run! I am SO jealous… not only of your awesome run but your beachy sounds! How awesome!

March 24, 2009 at 11:43 am
  • Reply RunningLaur

Those are the best runs! Well said!

March 24, 2009 at 11:45 am
  • Reply LG

what a great post. it’s a great feeling to fall in love all over again with an old friend which is what you did last night!! i love those workouts.

March 24, 2009 at 11:53 am
  • Reply Alisa

So true!

The 3-6 mile range is my absolute favorite. 2 miles I feel the need to go fast more than 6 is less head clearing and uses more mental concentration.

March 24, 2009 at 12:01 pm
  • Reply chia

Ahh! With such heartfelt notions around the topic, I feel ever so guilty wishing that I could burn as many calories just watching others do it lol.

Kidding, I’m with you sister, those runs are the best!!!

March 24, 2009 at 12:02 pm
  • Reply E

sounds like a fantastic run! (and i love that photo you included!)

March 24, 2009 at 12:18 pm
  • Reply *~! megs !~*

What a great post! I couldn’t have said it better myself!! The only time I feel I can every truly clear my head is when I’m running. What a blessing!

March 24, 2009 at 12:33 pm
  • Reply Allie

I love it. I used to feel like that…until this silly injury! Hopefully it won’t be too long until I feel the love again! It is hard to explain to people if they don’t understand running, and you did a good job!

March 24, 2009 at 12:40 pm
  • Reply Jess

Sounds like a perfect run!

March 24, 2009 at 12:46 pm
  • Reply sarah

losing signal for 2 miles is why i finally trashed my garmin and switched to a polar with footpod. i may look like a nerd with a bomb detonator on my foot, but it never loses anything.

and i agree – beautiful post! it made me happy to be a runner.

March 24, 2009 at 1:00 pm
  • Reply Christina

I had that kind of run on Sunday. It’s was a great milestone for me because I hit 4 miles. And unfortunately I had a bad run today. I could barely get through 3 miles. :(

March 24, 2009 at 1:07 pm
  • Reply Niki

Sounds like a great run!! Awesome post:)

March 24, 2009 at 1:23 pm
  • Reply Susan

Yay for runs that remind you why you keep running! The good days definitely outweigh the bad days!

March 24, 2009 at 1:34 pm
  • Reply ~Mrs. Guru~

What a pretty view!

March 24, 2009 at 1:37 pm
  • Reply Brandi

Great post! Oh how I miss those days and can’t wait to get back to them! I think I’m finally healed up from the marathon so hopefully I can enjoy these runs again! People have no idea and look at me like I’m crazy when I say how much I miss running… If only they knew!

March 24, 2009 at 1:39 pm
  • Reply Brooke

These are the best runs :) I really enjoyed reading this post!

March 24, 2009 at 1:42 pm
  • Reply Christine

Yep! thats the exact run I had on Sunday where I discovered this awesome wooded trail. I wasn’t bored..I was simply taking it all in!

March 24, 2009 at 1:44 pm
  • Reply Amy

Ahhhh.. those are the runs we are always seeking…

So… to answer your question… I haven’t completely “solved” my issue yet… but, I have found that eliminating as much whole grains and fiber the day before a run helps me… also… for me… not drinking too much at any given time during the run (just little sips from my fuel belt water bottle every once in awhile) and getting up early enough to get things “going.” It sucks. I can do everything right and still end up dying around mile 11 or so. But I am slowly learning what seems to help me… I think it’s just trial and error, unfortunately. Hope some of this is helpful!

March 24, 2009 at 1:46 pm
  • Reply Wearing Mascara

Great post! Makes me excited for my 5-miler tonight :-)

March 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm
  • Reply Danielle

I found your blog this past weekend and I’m totally hooked! I loved this last post because you did such a great job describing why so many of us love running. It’s neat to really enjoy an activity that can be so challenging and relaxing at the same time. Nothing clears my head like a good run. Glad yours was great!

That stinks that it took so long for Claude to link up. I’m also considering a Garmin and now I just have to convince my husband how awesome they can be :)

March 24, 2009 at 2:11 pm
  • Reply Carlee

awesome reflection. i feel the same way!

March 24, 2009 at 2:32 pm
  • Reply lindsay

glad you had a good head-clearing, feel-good run, even if claude was being moody. i usually let my technology interrupt my run and send me home early :-/

March 24, 2009 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply Billy Burger

I’m def with ya Danica. Running is usually 50% workout, 50% therapy for me.

BTW, that photographer is AWESOME ;)

March 24, 2009 at 3:05 pm
  • Reply RunWithMe

Sounds like a great run. I love your pony tail in the picture!! It must be amazing to run and to hear the waves…

March 24, 2009 at 3:46 pm
  • Reply Denise

Those are the best runs! I wish everyone would give it a shot to experience it.

March 24, 2009 at 4:13 pm
  • Reply loquita

You’ve captured the reason why I never wear headphones or listen to music when I run. All I want to hear are the sounds around me, and let my head clear for a while.

Nice post. :)

March 24, 2009 at 4:26 pm
  • Reply Run Saraaah

I love your reflection…running and clearing my head is one of the best feelings. I love running, because, well, I can.

March 24, 2009 at 4:36 pm
  • Reply J

Glad the run was sooo good! I am sure the hills helped too! It has been incredibly windy here too and it is not fun! I want warm weather!

March 24, 2009 at 4:43 pm
  • Reply Jane

i really need to get my run on more often! tomorrow i swear!

March 24, 2009 at 4:58 pm
  • Reply Marlene

Ahhh, your post just makes me want to lace up and get out there! I love a feel-good run!

March 24, 2009 at 5:35 pm
  • Reply D10

That is an awesome picture. Looks like it could be in a running magazine.

March 24, 2009 at 5:37 pm
  • Reply Marci

Great post that reminds us of why we love to run. Thanks!

March 24, 2009 at 6:09 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

Thanks for reminding us why we run. Sometimes I tend to forget that when I’m stuck in the details of marathon training. I should be more like you and just leave the ipod and garmin home once in a while and just run. Great post!

March 24, 2009 at 6:21 pm
  • Reply Lora

I love those type of runs. We need them to remind us of the inherent joy running can bring.

March 24, 2009 at 6:26 pm
  • Reply The Happy Runner

Those are the best runs. Good for you.

Great post!

March 24, 2009 at 6:30 pm
  • Reply runjen

Great post!!! I agree with many of the others…this is exactly why I love running.

March 24, 2009 at 6:42 pm
  • Reply jlc

5 miles is my FAVORITE length to run!

Love that pic girlie!! Very artsy. ;)

March 24, 2009 at 6:51 pm
  • Reply Laurel

That is an awesome picture! I love the pony sashaying in the wind.

I had a run like that tonight. I love those, the ones where you are sad that they end…

March 24, 2009 at 6:53 pm
  • Reply kristen

Love your post girlfriend. I have run on the LB boardwalk a couple of times (my hubby works on one of those oil tankers that is sitting out there) and I totally agree. LB is a great place to run! I like your trail pic too.

March 24, 2009 at 7:43 pm
  • Reply Lacey Nicole

AW good post.

March 25, 2009 at 5:02 am
  • Reply Stuart

Nice post! But where’s you blankie ;-)

March 25, 2009 at 6:03 am
  • Reply Allie

You had mentioned “the stick” on your comment…I looked online and there are a bunch! Where did you get yours and what size did you get? I am intrested in anything that will help me get back to running sooner rather than later!

March 25, 2009 at 7:33 am