10k + Long Run

This past weekend I participated in the Race on the base 10k. It was a completely flat course that ran around the runways of the army base. It was an alright race. It was during this race though that I realized I am not good at running shorter distances anymore. I realized I don’t hit my zone till about mile 5 to 6, and a 10k is only 6 miles. Oh yea and I had to go to the bathroom the ENTIRE race. Not bueno. I thought it would go away, and it just got worse. Oh well. I ended with a time of 49.50, and it was still fun to race again.

Yesterday I completed another new long distance for me. 16 miles. I got a new fuel belt for this run which I never have used before, but after hitting the wall last weekend at 13 miles on my 14 mile run I figured it was time. I took my gu with about 6.5 miles left and I feel like that really helped on the last part of the run. I also filled my water bottle with G2 red and it was WAY to sweet for the run, but mixed with the roctane berry pomegranate gu it was delicious. I ran much slower than I normally do too, and today I am not sore at all. I do have a huge blister on my big toe, but in time it will be healed quickly. Today’s a rest day and I’m glad I don’t have to worry about running.

Sorry if I have been a bad blogger lately. I have a ton going on in my personal life and training for a marathon is no joke. I leave you with this wonderful token of me right after I finished the 5k at the Quench the Fire Race.

Photobucket

Be Sociable, Share!
Previous Post Next Post

You may also like

48 Comments

• Reply Jodi

ha ha ha I’m so glad you beat her even though her husband was crazy yelling at her to “Beat that woman!” Doesn’t she know you can’t beat THE KOO?!
    Congrats on the 16 miles! Way to go!

February 23, 2009 at 11:39 am
  • Reply Alisa

Great job on 16 miles. Isn’t it great to hit mileage PR’s…it was fantastic the first time I started marathon training.

I can’t believe you went through training for a 1/2 without a water belt, maybe I’m an abnormally thirsty runner. I don’t usually race with the belt for halfs but I do with fulls it eliminates having to stop at every aid station.

Sorry about the blister! I feel your pain.

I also concur with the short distance runs. I’m not built for speed so I prefer longer, slower races =).

February 23, 2009 at 11:45 am
  • Reply Candice

Congratulations on your 10K and most of all on your 16 miles! That’s awesome. I’m up to 15 miles for my long run this coming week..and I’m a little freaked out. I know I can do it, but the 13 last week was pretty painful at the end. I’m glad to hear you did the 16 and did it well!

And I totally understand about your lack of time…between house shopping and marathon training I feel like there’s no time for anything else!

February 23, 2009 at 12:16 pm
  • Reply Prepster

way to go! watching you compete all these races is so inspiring! Keep us updated!

February 23, 2009 at 12:18 pm
  • Reply J

Love the picture! Great job on the race and the 16 miler!!

February 23, 2009 at 12:26 pm
  • Reply Mojito Maven

Woo hoo!!! 16 miles is fantastic!!!!!!!! xoxoxoxox

February 23, 2009 at 12:38 pm
  • Reply Melanie

Yay for 16 miles! I ran several marathons before I finally broke down and bought a Fuel Belt. It is SO helpful for training. And sometimes I dilute my Gatorade with 3 parts G and one part water to make it a little less sweet.

February 23, 2009 at 12:39 pm
  • Reply Jamie

I just have to say… you rock!

February 23, 2009 at 12:49 pm
  • Reply P.O.M.

Yeah for your 16 miler!!! I knew you could do it. Fueling properly is so key once you get to these distances. I’m not a gaterade fan at all. I’ve tried nuun a few times and like it. Do a few tests on things before the big day. See what works best for you and makes you feel the best.

February 23, 2009 at 2:02 pm
  • Reply Susan

Congrats on the race and the 16 miles! I usually get blisters on runs over 16 miles, so I feel your pain.

February 23, 2009 at 3:23 pm
  • Reply Amanda

Congrats on your 10K and awesome job on the 16 miles. Hope your blister is all better!

February 23, 2009 at 3:43 pm
  • Reply Billy Burger

Some great running this weekend Danica – proud of ya!

February 23, 2009 at 3:49 pm
  • Reply Marcy

Sweetness chica!! OK and what kind of had to go to the BR are we talking about? #1 or #2? I once had to do a #2 during a 5k and seriously thought about doing it in someone’s yard :P THANK GOD it was only a 5k. It was the longest 5k of my life LOL

February 23, 2009 at 4:17 pm
  • Reply Good Gals Inc

YOu rock for doing all these races! it’s amazing!! Makes me get in the mood to train for my tri-athelon early!

February 23, 2009 at 4:27 pm
  • Reply Denise

Great job on the race and the 16 miler. Marathon training is intense and very time consuming. Hope everything is going ok with you.

February 23, 2009 at 4:30 pm
  • Reply skinnyrunner.com

hahaha i just posted asking about hydration belts thinking i need one and then the next site i go to is yours and you’re talking about them! haha, cute pic!

February 23, 2009 at 4:30 pm
  • Reply ~Mrs. Guru~

Great job! Your my inspiration. I had a bad week last week and didn’t make it to the gym. But this week is a new week and I am super excited to get back into the fit zone!

February 23, 2009 at 4:56 pm
  • Reply Marci

Great job on your 16 miler!

February 23, 2009 at 5:01 pm
  • Reply mrjwhit~

Nice work! You smoked that course. Have you tried coconut water? It’s excellent! It’s sold at all health food stores like Harry’s and Whole Foods.

February 23, 2009 at 5:16 pm
  • Reply The Laminator

You’re right, training for a marathon is serious stuff…but you’re doing such a great job of it. 49+ minutes for a 10K is really good. Awesome job!

February 23, 2009 at 5:32 pm
  • Reply Matt

Nice race!

February 23, 2009 at 6:08 pm
  • Reply Marlene

Congrats on the 10K – awesome time!

Love that pic… you look just as you should after a 5K!

February 23, 2009 at 6:24 pm
  • Reply Vava

That’s a great time for the 10k, and then you did 16 miles?!?! Wow.

February 23, 2009 at 6:49 pm
  • Reply Nicole

Cute pic! Congrats at running a new distance. What kind of gu do you use? I’ve never tried it. I probably should start using it, but i’m nervous.

February 23, 2009 at 6:54 pm
  • Reply lindsay

nice job in the 10k and long run! love that you beat that woman with killer abs. i think the pic is cute, i totally look like death after a race :)

February 23, 2009 at 7:07 pm
  • Reply I Run for Fun

Great job on the new milestone!

February 23, 2009 at 7:09 pm
  • Reply Kevin

You look the way I look after runs of 10k or shorter: like if the guy cutting the chip off your shoe doesnt go fast enough you just might barf on him.

February 23, 2009 at 7:31 pm
  • Reply chia

I’ve been mixing Ultima and Hornet Juice for awhile and that seems to work out very well :-).

Great runskis!

February 23, 2009 at 8:21 pm
  • Reply Borsch

Great job! Love the pic!

February 23, 2009 at 8:30 pm
  • Reply Laurel

That woman looks like she is going to plow into you and take you down!

Great job in the 16 miler! You only take one GU for that distance? I can’t survive it unless I do two. Or maybe I am just a pig :)

You’re doing great in your training!

February 23, 2009 at 9:00 pm
  • Reply X-Country2

Congrats on the 16 miler! Once you figure out fuel and hydration, you’re going to be hard to stop.

February 23, 2009 at 9:31 pm
  • Reply Amber

Great work on the 16 miles!!! I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, you take GREAT running pictures and I’m SO jealous!

February 23, 2009 at 10:05 pm
  • Reply kilax

You’re such a cute runner! I wish I was as cute as you.

I’ve been battling bathroom tendencies on my indoor runs. I have to stop the treadmill, jump off and dash to the bathroom. It’s so painful, isn’t it?

I love reading about your 16 miler and the belt. We need to start looking into that stuff soon as we pick up longer runs for our half marathon.

February 23, 2009 at 10:43 pm
  • Reply joyRuN

Great great job on the running!

And yes – marathon training definitely sucks up your time :)

February 24, 2009 at 12:01 am
  • Reply RunToFinish

ok so what did you think of the belt? i’ve been avoiding buying one, but i really need to start carrying something

February 24, 2009 at 5:47 am
  • Reply The Happy Runner

Nice job! Sorry about the blister — hope it heals up quickly.

February 24, 2009 at 6:44 am
  • Reply BeachRunner

Awesome race time.

February 24, 2009 at 7:36 am
  • Reply maria k

1. do you even sweat when you run?
    2. i want those capris! where are they from?

February 24, 2009 at 8:31 am
  • Reply Kristen

Wow 16 miles!

I just got a new belt and it is really nice to have “the” one that works for you.

We are getting ready for our next half on March 14. I’m starting to look into getting some gu. We usually train with Gatorade but I can’t make it too strong or I feel yuck!

February 24, 2009 at 9:52 am
  • Reply melinda

I would love to have that 10k time! Great job on the 16 miles. That is a great photo.. and cute outfit too :)

February 24, 2009 at 10:16 am
  • Reply aron

love the pic :)

great job on both your runs!! YAY for the 16 miles! i usually dilute my gatorade a little, it helps with the sweetness.

February 24, 2009 at 11:17 am
  • Reply Legallyblondemel

Girl, you are a machine! And how do you manage to look cute after running like that? I call shenanigans; you're totally running behind a tree & pulling yourself together first, right? Right?? ;-)

February 24, 2009 at 11:32 am
  • Reply LyndsAU

You are my personal inspiration :) I love reading about your running :) I plan to run my first 10 K after this baby is born :) And I am excited!

February 24, 2009 at 12:37 pm
  • Reply Marathon Maritza

Great job on your race and also in hitting 16 miles! :)

I always water down my G2, it’s way too sweet for me. I usually have 3/4 G2 and 1/4 water.

February 24, 2009 at 7:33 pm
  • Reply N.D.

You did a great job in the10k- running while having to go to the loo is terribly uncomfortable! Way to go on the 16!! you look so tall in this pic – are you really tall?

February 24, 2009 at 8:02 pm
  • Reply Rainmaker

Nicely done on the long run and the 10K – congrats!

February 24, 2009 at 8:14 pm
  • Reply Julianne

Great job on your 16 miles! You are full swing into your marathon training, aren’t you! Oh and you look fabulous even after a 10k!!

February 24, 2009 at 9:44 pm
  • Reply ConcreteDiva

I'm glad you raced with us on Sunday. It was awesome to see you and Sis as I was nearing the finish line, about to PR my 5K walk. I keep looking to you for motivation as the 5K run draws near… ♥ ya!

February 25, 2009 at 11:36 am